Dunellen, New Jersey
|Dunellen, New Jersey|
|Borough of Dunellen|
|Nickname(s): "The Railroad Town"|
|Motto(s): "Small Enough to Know You, Large Enough to Serve You."|
Dunellen highlighted in Middlesex County. Inset: location of Middlesex County highlighted in the State of New Jersey.
Census Bureau map of Dunellen, New Jersey
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Incorporated||October 28, 1887|
|Named for||Dunellen station|
|• Body||Borough Council|
|• Mayor||Robert J. Seader (R, term ends December 31, 2019)|
|• Administrator||William M. Robins|
|• Municipal clerk||William M. Robins|
|• Total||1.048 sq mi (2.715 km2)|
|• Land||1.048 sq mi (2.715 km2)|
|• Water||0.000 sq mi (0.000 km2) 0.00%|
495th of 566 in state|
23rd of 25 in county
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Estimate (2016)||7,374|
313th of 566 in state|
21st of 25 in county
|• Density||6,894.8/sq mi (2,662.1/km2)|
|• Density rank||
66th of 566 in state|
4th of 25 in county
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||732 and 908|
|GNIS feature ID||0885198|
Population[change | change source]
History[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.048 square miles (2.715 km2). All of it is land. Dunellen is in the Raritan Valley, a line of communities in central New Jersey.
References[change | change source]
- Kuperinsky, Amy. "'The Jewel of the Meadowlands'?: N.J.'s best, worst and weirdest town slogans", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, January 22, 2015. Accessed July 12, 2016. "Dunellen, in Middlesex County, is 'Small Enough to Know You, Large Enough to Serve You.' Councilman Jason Cilento says the slogan is "a bit of a mystery," and that it's easier to explain the nickname 'Railroad Town,' for its reputation as a bedroom community for New York commuters."
- 2010 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey County Subdivisions, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- 2017 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Accessed May 30, 2017.
- Administration, Borough of Dunellen. Accessed July 12, 2016.
- Municipal Clerk, Borough of Dunellen. Accessed July 12, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Dunellen, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 5, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Dunellen borough, Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Table DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Dunellen borough, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 22, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Dunellen, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed November 22, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed October 9, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup - NPA NXX for Dunellen, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed October 8, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Loyer, Susan. "DUNELLEN Tremendous effort by parents, tremendous fun for kids", Home News Tribune, June 5, 2005. Accessed May 30, 2012. "Originally part of Piscataway, Dunellen was established in 1867 and grew up around the New Jersey Central Railroad station, which was known as New Market station."
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Dunellen, New Jersey at Wikimedia Commons