Emma Martina Luigia Morano
29 November 1899 
|Died||15 April 2017 (aged 117)|
|Cause of death||Heart disease|
|Occupation||Jute factory worker|
|Height||5 ft (152 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Giovanni Martinuzzi (1901–1978)|
(m. 1926–1978; his death) (separated in 1938)
|Children||One child (1937–1937)|
|Parent(s)||Giovanni Morano and Matilde Bresciani|
Emma Morano-Martinuzzi (29 November 1899 – 15 April 2017) was an Italian supercentenarian. At the age of 117, she was the oldest living person in the world from 13 May 2016 until her death on 15 April 2017. She was the 5th oldest person in history at her death. She is the oldest person from Italy or ever lived in Italy and the second oldest European person ever, after Jeanne Calment.
Biography[change | change source]
She was born on 29 November 1899 in Civiasco (Province of Vercelli) in the region of Piedmont to Giovanni Morano and Matilde Bresciani, the eldest of eight children, five daughters and three sons. In October 1926, she married Giovanni Martinuzzi (1901-1978) and in 1937 her only child was born; Unfortunately he died when he was only six months old. The marriage was not happy so in 1938 Morano decided to separate from her husband. On her 115th birthday, Morano was still living alone in her home.
References[change | change source]
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Auguri alla nonna d'Italia che ha visto 10 Papi" (in Italian). Sanfrancescopatronoditalia.it. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Emma Morano, 112 anni: ha visto dieci Papi. Il segreto? Tre uova al dì" (in Italian). 45.9215067,8.5515597: Blitzquotidiano.it. Retrieved 2013-05-05.CS1 maint: location (link)
- "La centenaria a caccia dei parenti locarnesi" (in Italian). Caffe.ch. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Emma Morano has died
- "Italy's Emma Morano, the world's oldest person, dies at 117". ABC News. 15 April 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Morta Emma Morano, aveva 117 anni e 137 giorni
Susannah Mushatt Jones
| Oldest verified living person
12 May 2016 — 15 April 2017