Eric S. Schmitt
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2023
Serving with Josh Hawley
|Preceded by||Roy Blunt|
|43rd Attorney General of Missouri|
January 3, 2019 – January 3, 2023
|Preceded by||Josh Hawley|
|Succeeded by||Andrew Bailey|
|46th Treasurer of Missouri|
January 9, 2017 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Clint Zweifel|
|Succeeded by||Scott Fitzpatrick|
|Member of the Missouri Senate|
from the 15th district
January 7, 2009 – January 4, 2017
|Preceded by||Michael R. Gibbons|
|Succeeded by||Andrew Koenig|
Eric Stephen Schmitt
June 20, 1975
Bridgeton, Missouri, U.S.
|Education||Truman State University (BA)|
Saint Louis University (JD)
Eric Stephen Schmitt (born June 20, 1975) is an American lawyer and politician who is the United States Senator from Missouri since 2023. He was the 43rd Attorney General of Missouri from 2019 to 2023. He was the 46th State Treasurer of Missouri from 2017 to 2019.
He was a member of the Missouri Senate from 2009 to 2017. He also was an alderman for Glendale, Missouri from 2005 to 2008.
On November 13, 2018, Schmitt was named Attorney General of Missouri by Governor Mike Parson, after the Josh Hawley, was elected to the United States Senate.
In March 2021, he announced his candidacy for the United States Senate in the 2022 election to replace retiring Senator Roy Blunt. He won the Republican nomination in the August primaries.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Sarasota Wine Market v. Eric Stephen Schmitt, 19-1948 (8th Cir. March 24, 2021).
- ↑ "Eric Schmitt sworn in as Missouri's 43rd Attorney General". Webster County Citizen. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- ↑ Suntrup, Jack (November 13, 2018). "State Treasurer Eric Schmitt to become Missouri AG after Hawley elected to Senate". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- ↑ King, Samuel (November 13, 2018). "Missouri's Next Attorney General Will Be State Treasurer Eric Schmitt". KCUR-FM. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- ↑ "GOP Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt running for U.S. Senate". PBS NewsHour. Associated Press. March 24, 2021. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- ↑ Rosenbaum, Jason (March 24, 2021). "Attorney General Eric Schmitt Jumps Into Missouri U.S. Senate Race". St. Louis Public Radio. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- ↑ Missouri Primary Election Results at NPR