Fable (video game)
|Developer(s)||Big Blue Box (Original)
Lionhead Studios (Lost Chapters/Anniversary)
Robosoft Technologies (Mac OS X)
|Publisher(s)||Microsoft Game Studios
Feral Interactive (Mac OS X)
|Composer(s)||Danny Elfman, Russell Shaw|
Mac OS X
Fable is a role-playing game made by Big Blue Box and Lionhead Studios for the Xbox, Windows and Mac OS X. The game was released on September 14, 2004 in North America and an extended version of the game called Fable: The Lost Chapters, was released for Xbox and Microsoft Windows in September 2005.
Fable was originally called Project Ego in early development and took around four years to create, with a team of around 70 developers working on it. The theme music for Fable was composed by Danny Elfman. The game won over fifty awards and was the Xbox's fastest-selling game at that time.
Gameplay[change | change source]
In the game, the player controls the main character, The Hero of Oakvale. The player can interact with people and can battle foes. To further the game's plot, the player must complete missions known as quests and can also complete side quests.
The player can choose to either be good or evil. Completing good deeds will award the character good points and will produce a positive alignment and committing evil acts will add evil points and produce a negative alignment. The character's appearance will also change if the player makes the character's alignment strong enough. If the character has a strong enough positive alignment, a halo will appear above the character's head and if the character has a strong enough negative alignment, a red haze will rise from around his legs, he will draw flies, and will have glowing red eyes and horns.
References[change | change source]
- "Developer Diary #5: Demo Days". Lionhead Studios. http://web.archive.org/web/20100102113847/http://lionhead.com/Fable/fable_devdiary_05.aspx. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "'Fable' weaves fun fantasy adventure". USA Today. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2004-09-29-fable-review_x.htm. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Danny Elfman Does Fable". IGN. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2004/03/18/danny-elfman-does-fable. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Fable: Awards". Lionhead Studios. http://web.archive.org/web/20080712104909/http://www.lionhead.com/fable/Awards.aspx. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- Tilley, Steve (10 October 2004). "Fable Guru: It's All My Fault". Toronto Star: p. S27.