Federated States of Micronesia
|Federated States of Micronesia|
Motto: "Peace, Unity, Liberty"
Anthem: "Patriots of Micronesia"
and national languagea
|Ethnic groups (2000)|
|Government||Federated parliamentary republic under a non-partisan democracy|
|Yosiwo P. George|
|Independence from the United States|
|November 3, 1986|
|702 km2 (271 sq mi) (177th)|
• Water (%)
• 2016 estimate
|158.1/km2 (409.5/sq mi) (75th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2011 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2011 estimate|
• Per capita
medium · 127th
|Currency||United States dollar (USD)|
|Time zone||(UTC+10 and +11)|
• Summer (DST)
|not observed (UTC)|
|Drives on the||right|
|ISO 3166 code||FM|
Micronesia, officially the Federated States of Micronesia, is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean, northeast of Papua New Guinea. The country is a sovereign state in free association with the United States. The capital city of Federated States of Micronesia is Palikir.
The Federated States of Micronesia were formerly part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, a United Nations Trust Territory under US administration. In 1979 they adopted a constitution, and in 1986 independence was attained under a Compact of Free Association with the United States. Present concerns include large-scale unemployment, overfishing, and overdependence on U.S. aid.
The Federated States of Micronesia is hundreds of small islands divided in seven territories in Micronesia. The term Micronesia may mean the Federated States or to the region as a whole. This area is in Oceania.
Related pages[change | change source]
- Federated States of Micronesia national football team
- List of rivers of the Federated States of Micronesia
- Micronesia at the Olympics
References[change | change source]
- Summary Analysis of Key Indicators: from the FSM 2010 Census of Population and Housing (PDF). Palikir: Division of Statistics, Office of SBOC. p. 8. Retrieved 16 March 2018 – via Prism (SPC).
- "World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision". ESA.UN.org (custom data acquired via website). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "GINI index". World Bank. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "2016 Human Development Report" (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Federated States of Micronesia.|