Flight of the Navigator
|Flight of the Navigator|
|Directed by||Randal Kleiser|
|Story by||Mark H. Baker|
|Music by||Alan Silvestri|
|Studio||Walt Disney Pictures|
Producers Sales Organization
New Star Entertainment
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Release date(s)||August 1, 1986|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Flight of the Navigator is a science fiction movie from 1986. It was directed by Randal Kleiser and written by Mark H. Baker and Michael Burton. It is about David Freeman, a 12-year-old boy who is taken by an alien spaceship and finds himself caught in a world that has changed around him.
The producers of the movie at first sent it to Walt Disney Pictures in 1984. However, the studio was not able to approve it. It was sent to Producers Sales Organization. That studio made a deal with Disney to distribute the movie in the United States. The movie was partially filmed in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Norway. It was a co-production with the Norwegian company Viking Film.
Cast[change | change source]
- Joey Cramer as David Freeman
- Paul Reubens (credited as "Paul Mall") as the voice of Max
- Cliff DeYoung as Bill Freeman
- Veronica Cartwright as Helen Freeman
- Matt Adler as Jeff Freeman
- Albie Whitaker plays eight-year-old Jeff Freeman
- Sarah Jessica Parker as Carolyn McAdams
- Howard Hesseman as Dr. Louis Faraday
- Robert Small as Troy
- Jonathan Sanger as Dr. Carr
- Richard Liberty as Larry Howard
- Iris Acker as Janet Howard
- Raymond Forchion as Detective Banks
- Keri Rogers as Jennifer Bradley
Production[change | change source]
Soundtrack[change | change source]
The music score for the movie was composed by Alan Silvestri. It is different from his other scores because it was completely electronically generated, using the Synclavier, one of the first digital multi-track recorders and samplers.
- Theme from "Flight of the Navigator"
- "Main Title"
- "The Ship Beckons"
- "David in the Woods"
- "Robot Romp"
- "Transporting the Ship"
- "Ship Drop"
- "Have to Help a Friend"
- "The Shadow Universe"
- "Star Dancing"
References[change | change source]
- Dave Kehr (1986-07-30). "'Flight Of Navigator' A New High For Disney". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- "Flight of the Navigator - 1986 - Joey Cramer, Randal Kleiser - Variety Profiles". Variety.com. 1986-07-30. Retrieved 2009-12-20.[dead link]
- "Flight of the Navigator (1986)". The Powergrid. Wrap News inc. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- Mark Damon; Linda Schreyer (2008). From Cowboy to Mogul to Monster: The Neverending Story of Film Pioneer Mark Damon. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse. p. 376. ISBN 978-1-4343-7737-1.
- Charles Solomon (1987-08-01). "Commentary : Computer Graphics Shows Its Stuff". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Anderson, Martin (2009-07-15). "Jeff Kleiser Discusses the Early CGI of Flight of the Navigator". Den of Geek!. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- Film's end credits