G. C. Murmu
|1st Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir|
31 October 2019 – 6 August 2020
|President||Ram Nath Kovind|
|Preceded by||Office Established (Satya Pal Malik as Governor of Jammu and Kashmir)|
|Succeeded by||Manoj Sinha|
|Expenditure Secretary of India|
1 March 2019 – 30 October 2019
|Preceded by||Ajay Narayan Jha|
|Succeeded by||Atanu Chakraborty|
Girish Chandra Murmu
21 November 1959
Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India
|Spouse(s)||Smita Shukla Murmu|
Girish Chandra Murmu (born 21 November 1959) is an Indian politician. He was the first lieutenant governor of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. He was a 1985 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of Gujarat. In October 2019, he became the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
Early life and education[change | change source]
G.C. Murmu was born on 21 November 1959 in Betnoti village of Mayurbhanj district in Odisha in a Santal family. He holds a Master of Arts degree in Political Science from Utkal University. He also holds an MBA degree from University of Birmingham. He is the eldest among eight siblings, six brothers and two sisters. One of his brothers, Sirish Chandra Murmu is working as a chief general manager at the Reserve Bank of India as of 2019.
Career[change | change source]
In 2001, when Narendra Modi became chief minister of Gujarat, Murmu was the Relief Commissioner. Shortly afterwards he became Commissioner, Mines and Minerals and thereafter Managing Director, Gujarat Maritime Board.
Murmu's career took off in 2004 when he was made joint secretary of the Gujarat Home Department, which was headed by Amit Shah and directly supervised by Narendra Modi. He was given the task of handling the 2002 Gujarat riots cases. when Amit Shah was in jail, Murmu prepared his case papers.[source?]
On 31 October 2019, Murmu took charge as the 1st Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir after the formation of the new Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir under the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019. He succeeded Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Satya Pal Malik, to become the 1st Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir. On 5 August 2020, he resigned from his position.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "GC Murmu appointed as J&K Lt Guv, RK Mathur for Ladakh". Deccan Herald. 25 October 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Who is G.C. Murmu, Modi aide and now J&K's first Lt Governor?". The Week. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- Das, Anand ST (1 November 2019). "'A Tribal Boy Got a Big Opportunity': GC Murmu's Mother Elated over His Appointment as J&K's L-G". News18. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "From Mayurbhanj to Crown of India". Economic Times. 27 October 2019. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- "From Mayurbhanj to crown of India, Girish Chandra Murmu's rise to top - ET Government". ETGovernment.com. 27 October 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- "PM Modi Hand Picks Murmu". The Outlook. 25 October 2019.
- "For GC Murmu, J&K's first L-G, law and order will be top priority". 28 October 2019.
- Service, Tribune News. "GC Murmu resigns as Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor". Tribuneindia News Service.
- "गिरीश चंद्र मुर्मू बने देश के नए CAG, गांधी-आंबेडकर को नमन कर संभाला पदभार". NDTVIndia (in Hindi). 8 August 2020. Retrieved 22 August 2020.