GERB (which stands for Граждани за Европейско Развитие на България, "Grazhdani za Evropeysko Razvitie na Bŭlgaria," meaning Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria. The word герб/gerb also means "coat of arms" in Bulgarian) is a political party in Bulgaria. The party leader is Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
The party supports Bulgaria's membership in the European Union. They are also called a liberal conservative and populist party. The party has been an important force in Bulgarian politics since it's creation in 2006. Their best performance was in the 2009 Bulgarian parliamentary election, where they received around 40% of the national vote and won 117 out of 240 seats. Their most recent performance was in the 2017 Bulgarian parliamentary election, where they received 33% of the national vote and won 95 out of 240 seats.
Performances[change | change source]
Parliamentary elections[change | change source]
|Election||# of seats won||# of total votes||% of popular vote||Seat change||% change|
|2009||117 / 240||1,678,583||39.72%||—||—|
|2013||97 / 240||1,081,605||30.54%||20||9.18%|
|2014||84 / 240||1,072,491||32.67%||13||2.13%|
|2017||95 / 240||1,147,283||32.65%||11||0.02%|
References[change | change source]
- Viola, Donatella M. (2015). Routledge Handbook of European Elections. Routledge. p. 639. ISBN 978-1-317-50363-7.
- Nordsieck, Wolfram (2011). "Bulgaria". Parties and Elections in Europe. Retrieved May 29, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Novaković, Igor (2010). ""European" and "Extreme" Populists in the Same Row – the New Government of the Republic of Bulgaria" (PDF). Western Balkans Security Observer. ISAC Fund (17): 63–73. Retrieved December 19, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cristova, Christiana (2010). "Populism: the Bulgarian case" (PDF). Sociedade e Cultura. Goiânia. 13 (2): 221–232. Retrieved December 19, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website (in Bulgarian)
- Official website (in English)
- GERB's page on the European People's Party website