|Ernest Gary Gygax|
Gygax at Gen Con Indy 2007
|Born||July 27, 1938
|Died||March 4, 2008
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, United States
|Occupation||writer, game designer|
|Genres||role-playing games, fantasy, wargames|
Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008) (IPA: [ˈgaj.gæks]) was an American writer and game designer. He was best known for co-creating the early role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson in 1974. Gygax is often thought of as one of the first people to make role-playing games.
References[change | change source]
- Gygax, Gary (March 1985), "On the influence of J.R.R. Tolkien on the D&D and AD&D games", Dragon (95): 12–13: "A careful examination of the games will quickly reveal that the major influences are Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt, Fritz Leiber, Poul Anderson, A. Merritt, and H.P. Lovecraft."
- "Dungeons & Dragons FAQ". http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_FAQ.asp.
- Allen Rausch. "Gary Gygax Interview". GameSpy. http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/538/538817p3.html. Retrieved 2005-01-03.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Gary Gygax|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Gary Gygax|
- E. Gary Gygax at the Internet Movie Database
- Interviews and Q&As
- Seth Schiesel (February 27, 2006). "Dungeon Masters in Cyberspace". New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/arts/27drag.html.
- Scott Lynch (May 1, 2001). "Interview with Gary Gygax". RPGnet. http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/columns/lynch01may01.html.
- Q&A with Gary Gygax at Dragonsfoot
- The Ultimate Interview with Gary Gygax at thekyngdoms.com
- Dungeons & Dragons Creator Gary Gygax Passes Away; Interview on BoingBoing Gadgets
- The Times Obituary, March 5, 2008
- The Guardian Obituary, March 7, 2008 (Note the similarity to this Wikipedia entry)
- Associated Press (March 4, 2008). "Dungeons & Dragons Co - Creator Dies at 69". New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Obit-Gygax.html.
- The Economist, March 13 2008
- Obituary and notice of release of Gygax's last novel: Infernal Sorceress, July 2, 2008