George Pell (born 8 June 1941) is an Australian prelate of the Catholic Church. He became the inaugural Prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy in 2014. He was born in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. He was ordained in 1966. He was made cardinal by Pope John Paul II.
On 29 June 2017, Pell was charged in Victoria, Australia, with multiple historical sexual assault offences, and denied all charges. The Pope granted him leave to return to Australia to defend himself. Pell was committed to stand trial on the lesser charges, pleading not guilty.
On 7 April 2020, the High Court of Australia found Pell innocent from his convictions and issued verdicts of acquittal. The Court's said that there was "a significant possibility that an innocent person has been convicted because the evidence did not establish guilt".
References[change | change source]
- Miranda, Salvador. "Pell, George". The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church.
- "George Pell, Catholic cardinal, charged with historical sexual assault offences". ABC News. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "George Pell: How Italian media reacted to the historical sexual offence charges". ABC News. 30 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "George Pell: Cardinal addresses media after being charged with sexual assault offences". ABC News. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Emma Younger (1 May 2018). "Cardinal George Pell pleads not guilty to historical sexual offence charges after being committed to stand trial". ABC News.
- "Pell v The Queen  HCA 12" (PDF). High Court of Australia, 2020 Judgment Summaries. 7 April 2020. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- Template:Cite AustLII
- Davey, Melissa (7 April 2020). "George Pell: Australian cardinal to be released from jail after high court quashes child sex abuse conviction". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- Le Grand, Chip (7 April 2020). "Pell to walk free after High Court overturns conviction". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Pell.|
- "Pell Card. George". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Cardinal George Pell". Biography. Archdiocese of Sydney.