Saunders in September 2007
|Born||December 2, 1958|
Amarillo, Texas, U.S.
George Saunders (born December 2, 1958) is an American writer of short stories, essays, novellas, children's books, and a novel. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, Harper's, McSweeney's, and GQ. He also contributed a weekly column, American Psyche, to the weekend magazine of The Guardian between 2006 and 2008.
Awards[change | change source]
His story collection In Persuasion Nation was a finalist for the Story Prize in 2007. In 2013, he won the PEN/Malamud Award and was a finalist for the National Book Award. Saunders's Tenth of December: Stories won the 2013 Story Prize for short-story collections and the inaugural (2014) Folio Prize. His novel Lincoln in the Bardo won the 2017 Man Booker Prize.
Notes[change | change source]
- In the "Author's Note" to the 2012 paperback reprint of CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, Saunders writes about an early story he published in 1986, titled “A Lack of Order in the Floating Object Room,” which he (quote): "used it to get into Syracuse. This story was originally published in Northwest Review, Volume 24, Number 2, in 1986."
References[change | change source]
- "American psyche | Life and style". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "Saunders Wins PEN/Malamud Award". Pw.org. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Larry Dark, "George Saunders Wins His First Book Award, The Story Prize, for Tenth of December", thestoryprize.blogspot.com, March 5, 2014.
- Ron Charles (March 10, 2014). "George Saunders wins $67,000 for first Folio Prize". Washington Post. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Tenth of December by George Saunders wins inaugural Folio Prize 2014" (PDF). Folio Prize. March 10, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Booker winner took 20 years to write". bbc.com. October 18, 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "George Saunders Has Written the Best Book You'll Read This Year", Joel Lovell, The New York Times Magazine, January 3, 2013
- 2014 George Saunders interview with Jon Niccum, Kansas City Star
- 10 Free Stories by George Saunders Available on the Web