|Birth name||George Harvey Strait|
|Born||May 18, 1952|
|Occupations||Singer, record producer, actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Piano|
|Labels||MCA (MCA Nashville)|
|Associated acts||Ace in the Hole
Dean Dillon Mindy McCready Reba McEntire, Lee Ann Womack, Garth Brooks
George Harvey Strait (born May 18, 1952) is an American country music singer, actor, and music producer. Strait is referred to as the "King of Country," and critics call Strait a living legend. He is known for his unique style of western swing music, bar-room ballads, honky-tonk style, and fresh yet traditional Country music. George Strait holds the world record for more number-one hit singles than any other artist in the history of music on any chart or in any genre, having recorded 59 number-one hit singles as of 2012.
Discography[change | change source]
Strait has been recording with MCA Records for 30 years. He has had 60 No. 1 songs on all country charts (including Mediabase 24/7, the former Radio & Records chart, and the Gavin Report chart), and has more No. 1 hits than any other artist in any genre. His 44 Billboard magazine country No. 1's are a record, four more than Conway Twitty's total that includes several duets with Loretta Lynn. Strait is also the first artist in the history of Billboard magazine to have at least one single enter the Top 10 of a Billboard chart for 30 consecutive years. The first was in 1981 when his first single "Unwound" reached No. 6 on the Hot Country Singles chart. All of his Top 10 singles have been on that chart. Strait has sold more than 68 million albums in the United States and 13 multi-platinum, 33 platinum, and 38 gold albums.
- Studio albums
- Strait Country (1981)
- Strait from the Heart (1982)
- Right or Wrong (1983)
- Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind (1984)
- Something Special (1985)
- #7 (1986)
- Ocean Front Property (1987)
- If You Ain't Lovin' You Ain't Livin' (1988)
- Beyond the Blue Neon (1989)
- Livin' It Up (1990)
- Chill of an Early Fall (1991)
- Holding My Own (1992)
- Pure Country (1992)
- Easy Come, Easy Go (1993)
- Lead On (1994)
- Blue Clear Sky (1996)
- Carrying Your Love with Me (1997)
- One Step at a Time (1998)
- Always Never the Same (1999)
- George Strait (2000)
- The Road Less Traveled (2001)
- Honkytonkville (2003)
- Somewhere Down in Texas (2005)
- It Just Comes Natural (2006)
- Troubadour (2008)
- Twang (2009)
- Here for a Good Time (2011)
- Love Is Everything (2013)
- Cold Beer Conversation (2015)
References[change | change source]
- Bego, Mark. George Strait: The Story of Country's Living Legend. New York: Citadel Press, 2001.
- Stark, Phyllis (February 26, 2006). "Being George Strait". American Chronicle. http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=21330. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "George Strait First to Achieve 30 Consecutive Years of Top 10 Hits. he also is second all time in top ten hits in the history of music currently 8 away from breaking the all time lead eddy arnold who had 92 in his historic caerer". CMT News. 2010-04-14. http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1636146/george-strait-first-to-achieve-30-consecutive-years-of-top-10-hits.jhtml. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "Top Selling Artists (only with the albums)". Riaa.com. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- "Top Awarded Artists". Riaa.com. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblArtTal. Retrieved 2012-11-20.