Maxwell in 2007
|Education||Balliol College, Oxford|
Early life[change | change source]
She moved to the United States after her father's death in 1991 and became a close partner of businessman and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Maxwell has faced allegations of sexually trafficking underage girls for Epstein and others, charges she has denied.
Career and controversies[change | change source]
Maxwell founded the ocean-advocacy group The TerraMar Project in 2012. The organization announced it was closing on 12 July 2019, a week after the sex trafficking charges brought by New York federal prosecutors against Epstein became public.
On 27 December 2019, Reuters reported that Maxwell was among those under FBI investigation for helping Epstein. Since Epstein's arrest, Maxwell has been in hiding, communicating with the courts only through her lawyers.
References[change | change source]
- Haines, Joe (1988). Maxwell. London: Futura. pp. 434 et seq. ISBN 0-7088-4303-4.
- Twohey, Megan; Bernstein, Jacob (15 July 2019). "The 'Lady of the House' Who Was Long Entangled With Jeffrey Epstein". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 16 July 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Hosenball, Mark (27 December 2019). "Exclusive: FBI investigating British socialite and others who 'facilitated' Epstein". Reuters. Archived from the original on 3 January 2020. Retrieved 5 January 2020.
- Hill, James (30 January 2020). "Victims allege Ghislaine Maxwell is purposefully evading justice system". ABC News. Archived from the original on 30 January 2020. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- Goldstein, Matthew (March 18, 2020). "Jeffrey Epstein's Ex, Ghislaine Maxwell, Sues His Estate for Legal Fees". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 19 March 2020. Retrieved March 18, 2020.
- "Ghislaine Maxwell sues Jeffrey Epstein's estate over legal fees". BBC News. March 19, 2020. Archived from the original on 19 March 2020. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- "Ghislaine Maxwell, Accused of Providing Girls for Jeffrey Epstein, Arrested in N.H." New Hampshire Public Radio. Archived from the original on 2 July 2020. Retrieved 2020-07-02.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Ghislaine Maxwell at Wikimedia Commons