|Type of site||Social network|
|Users||114 million active users|
Google+ is a social networking website run by Google. Google+ was opened to people with an invitation on June 28, 2011 for testing. The next day, people with accounts were allowed to invite friends to the service. This was stopped within a day after there was "insane demand" for accounts.
Google+ is made to work with different Google social services, such as Google Profiles and Google Buzz. It also has features including Circles, Hangouts, Sparks and Huddles. It has been said that this is Google's biggest attempt to rival the social network Facebook.
Growth[change | change source]
On 14 July 2011, Google said that Google+ had 10 million users two weeks after it was opened to people with invitations. After three weeks, Google+ had 20 million users. The Google+ iPhone app was the most popular free application in the Apple App Store less than a day after it was added to the store.
Features[change | change source]
- "Circles" lets users to organize contacts into groups for sharing.
- "Messaging" lets people communicate with their circles using Android, iPhone, and SMS devices.
- "Hangouts" are places used to have a group video chat within a circle.
- "Instant Upload" lets people with Android mobile devices upload and store photos or video in a private album for sharing later.
- "Sparks" uses Google Search to let users find topics they might like to share with others.
- "Streams" lets users see updates from those in their circles. This is similar to Facebook's news feed.
- "Ripples" is a visualization tool that allows users to play back public shares and conversations. 
References[change | change source]
- "Facebook's Newest Challenger: Google Plus". Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Shaer, Matthew (30 June 2011). "Looking for a Google+ invite? Either get comfortable - or get crafty". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Official Google+ Website". Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Cain Miller, Claire (28 June 2011). "Another Try by Google to Take On Facebook". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Goldman, David (14 July 2011). "Google+ grows to 10 million users". CNNMoney. Cable News Network. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Musil, Steven (21 July 2011). "Google+ hits 20 million mark in three weeks". cnet News. CBS. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (20 July 2011). "Google+ Now The Top Free App In The Apple App Store". TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- M.G. Siegler (28 June 2011). "Google+ Project: It's Social, It's Bold, It's Fun, And It Looks Good — Now For The Hard Part". TechCrunch. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Vic Gundotra (27 October 2011). "Google+: Popular posts, eye-catching analytics, photo fun and.." Google. Retrieved 30 October 2011.