|Successor||Woman's Relief Corps and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War|
|Formation||April 6, 1866|
|Founder||Benjamin F. Stephenson|
|Dissolved||August 2, 1956|
|Purpose||Social, literary, historical, benevolent|
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization for veterans that were in the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), and the Marines during the American Civil War. It started in 1866 in Springfield, Illinois. It ended in 1956 when its last member, Albert Woolson (1850–1956), died.
References[change | change source]
- Knight, Glenn B. "Brief History of the Grand Army of the Republic". suvcw.org. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
Other Websites[change | change source]
- GAR page at the Library of Congress
- SUVCW official website
- ASUVCW official website
- DUVCW official website
- Medals related to the GAR in the collection of the American Numismatic Society
- Grand Army Museum, Lynn, Massachusetts at Essex National Heritage website
- Grand Army Museum, Lynn, Massachusetts at official City of Lynn website
- Photographs of Members of the Stevens Post, Seattle, Washington
- Grand Army of the Republic Museum and Library, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- The Grand Army of the Republic. Philip R. Schuyler Post, No. 51 records, including membership records, constitution and by-laws, correspondence and minutes of the Philip R. Schuyler Post No. 51, are available for research use at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
- Geocache on the Memorial Highway
- Grand Army of the Republic Collection Archived 2018-05-25 at the Wayback Machine – McLean County Museum of History archives (Illinois)
- Theodore C. Cazeau Grand Army of the Republic Collection – Lavery Library, St. John Fisher College, Rochester NY
- Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Kansas Encampments, 1882-1944
- Grand Army of the Republic, Walla Walla, records at the Whitman College and Northwest Archives, Whitman College.
- Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) George H. Thomas Post No. 17 collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library
- Grand Army of the Republic medals and ribbons, 1888-1956. California State Library, California History Room.