Guillermo del Toro's Pinnochio (also known as simply just Pinnochio) is an upcoming stop-motion animated musical fantasy film. It is directed by by Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson. It is based on Gris Grimly's design from his 2002 edition of the 1883 Italian novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. The film marks the animated feature film directorial debut of del Toro. It stars the voices of Ewan McGregor, David Bradley, Gregory Mann, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman, Christoph Waltz, Tilda Swinton. It has a screenplay by del Toro, Gris Grimly, Patrick McHale and Matthew Robbins and a story by del Toro and Robbins. Daniel Radcliffe is the movie's executive producer.
Produced by The Jim Henson Company and ShadowMachine in co-production with Necropia Entertainment, Pinocchio was announced by Del Toro in 2008 and originally scheduled to be released in 2013 or 2014, but the project went into development hell. In January 2017, McHale was announced to co-write the script, but in November 2017, the production was suspended as no studios were willing to provide financing. The production was revived the following year after being acquired by Netflix. It is set to be released in December 2022.
Plot[change | change source]
A dark, twisted retelling of the famous Carlo Collodi fairytale about a wooden puppet who comes to life and dreams of becoming a real boy takes place in 1930s Fascist Italy. When Pinocchio comes to life, he turns out not to be a nice boy, causing mischief and playing mean tricks. But at its core, Pinocchio is "a story of love and disobedience as Pinocchio struggles to live up to his father’s expectations."
Voice cast[change | change source]
- Gregory Mann as Pinocchio
- Ewan McGregor as Sebastian J. Cricket
- David Bradley as Master Geppetto
- Finn Wolfhard as Lampwick/Lucignolo
- Cate Blanchett as Sprezzatura the Monkey
- John Turturro as Master Cherry
- Ron Perlman as Mangiafuoco
- Tim Blake Nelson as the Coachman
- Burn Gorman as the Carabiniere
- Christoph Waltz as the Fox
- Tilda Swinton as the Fairy with Turquoise Hair
References[change | change source]
- Netflix Film [@NetflixFilm] (19 August 2020). "Set during the rise of Fascism in Mussolini's Italy, PINOCCHIO — a musical directed by del Toro and Mark Gustafson (FANTASTIC MR. FOX) with a score by Alexandre Desplat — is a story of love and disobedience as Pinocchio struggles to live up to his father's expectations" (Tweet) – via Twitter.