Guns N' Roses
|Guns N' Roses|
|Also known as||G N' R, GnR|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal|
|Labels||Geffen, UZI Suicide|
|Associated acts||Hollywood Rose, L.A. Guns, Neurotic Outsiders, Praxis, Road Crew, Slash's Snakepit, Velvet Revolver|
|See List of Guns N' Roses band members|
Guns N' Roses is a popular American hard rock band. The band was formed in Los Angeles, California, USA. The five original members of the band were Axl Rose (lead vocals), Slash (lead guitar), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Duff McKagan (bass, backing vocals), and Steven Adler (drums). The band's most known songs are Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child O'Mine, Patience, Live and Let Die, November Rain", Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Don't Cry, and Civil War.
The music they made was different from the rock music that was popular in the 1980's. They played harder rock music. It was also closer to traditional rock. Because of this, many music fans became interested in Guns N'Roses. Guns N'Roses was created in Los Angeles in June, 1985. By singer W. Axl Rose, guitarists Tracii Guns and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Ole Beich and drummer Rob Gardner. Axl's old band was named Hollywood Rose, and Tracii's old band was named L.A. Guns. They joined the two names and got the name Guns N' Roses.
In 1985, Guns N' Roses went to Seattle to perform. Tracii Guns and Rob Gardiner could not attend the show. Rose called guitarist Slash and drummer Steven Adler, who were his friends. He asked them for help. They agreed, and became permanent members. On the way back to Los Angeles, the five members wrote the lyrics for 'Welcome to the Jungle' which became one of their most famous songs. Then in 1990 Drummer Steven Adler got fired from the band because of his drug abuse. He was replaced by Cult Drummer Matt Sorum.
Since parting ways with the Appetite for Destruction-line up, Rose has remained a constant member and many line ups have changed since. The band recently released a new album, titled Chinese Democracy, which had been delayed for over ten years, to mixed reactions. In 2016, Slash and Duff rejoined the band, along with the band's first female member, Melissa Reese.
The band members now[change | change source]
- Axl Rose- Lead Vocals
- Slash - Lead Guitar
- Duff McKagan - Bass, backing vocals
- Dizzy Reed-Keyboards, Piano, backing vocals
- Melissa Reese - Keyboards, backing vocals
- Richard Fortus- Rhythm Guitar, backing vocals, Lead Guitar
- Frank Ferrer- Drums
Discography[change | change source]
- Appetite for Destruction - 1987
- G N' R Lies - 1988
- Use Your Illusion I - 1991
- Use Your Illusion II - 1991
- The Spaghetti Incident? - 1993
- Live Era: '87-'93 (Gold) - 1999
- Greatest Hits -2004
- Chinese Democracy- 2008
References[change | change source]
- Lethem, Jonathan (November 27, 2008). "100 Greatest Singers of All Time 64) Axl Rose". Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/axl-rose-19691231. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- Phillips & Cogan 2009, p. unknown
- Wall 2008, p. unknown
- Stenning 2005, p. unknown
- Popoff 2000, p. unknown
- Slash & Bozza 2007, pp. 110-111
- Adler & Spagnola 2010, pp. 94-95
- "Guns N' Roses confirm reunion lineup". Consequence of Sound. 2016-01-06. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Tavana, Art (2017-05-03). "Guns N' Roses' First Female Member Has Become a Rock Icon". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 2017-06-28.