H. Paul Varley
Herbert Paul Varley (February 8, 1931 – December 15, 2015) is an American academic, historian, author, and Japanologist. He is a former professor at Columbia University and Sen Sōshitsu XV Professor of Japanese Cultural History at the University of Hawaii.
Career[change | change source]
Selected works[change | change source]
- This list is not finished; you can help Wikipedia by adding to it.
- The Onin War; history of its origins and background with a selective translation of the Chronicle of Onin, 1967
- A Syllabus of Japanese Civilization, 1968
- Imperial Restoration in Medieval Japan, 1971
- Japanese Culture: a Short History, 1973
- A Chronicle of Gods and Sovereigns: Jinnō Shōtōki of Kitabatake Chikafusa, 1980
- Warriors of Japan as Portrayed in the War Tales, 1994
Honors[change | change source]
Notes[change | change source]
- "AuthorTree.com". Archived from the original on 2011-08-12. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- Mass, Jeffrey P. (1995). Antiquity and Anachronism in Japanese History, p. 15.
- Hardacre, Helen. (1998). The Postwar Development of Japanese Studies in the United States, p. 57.
- WorldCat Identities: Varley, H. Paul; retrieved 2012-11-1.
- Columbia University, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Faculty Profiles
Other websites[change | change source]