The announcement is given from the central balcony of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. After the announcement, the new pope meets the people and he gives his first Urbi et Orbi blessing to the crowd.
The format for the announcement is:
- Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum:
- Habemus Papam!
- Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum,
- Dominum [First Name],
- Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem [ Last name ],
- Qui sibi nomen imposuit [ Papal name ].
This, in English, means:
- I announce to you a great joy:
- We have a Pope!
- The most eminent and most reverend Lord,
- the Lord [First Name],
- Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church [ Last name ],
- Who takes to himself the name of [ Papal name ].
In the Habemus Papam given by Jorge Cardinal Medina Estévez on 19 April 2005 upon the election of Pope Benedict XVI, the announcement was made after a greeting (Dear Brothers and Sisters) in several languages (Italian, Spanish, French, German, and English).