Hammerfest (pronunciation; Hámmerfeastacode: sme promoted to code: se [ˈhaːmmerˌfea̯sːta]) is a municipality in Troms og Finnmark county, Norway. (From 2024, it will be in Finnmark county.) The administrative center of the municipality is the town of Hammerfest. The municipality has an area of 2,693 square kilometres (1,040 sq mi) and a population of 11,274 people. The population density is low, with only 4.4 people per square kilometer (1.7/m²). The municipality is made up of three large islands and several small islands. Most of it is not connected to the mainland by road.
Hammerfest was formed as a municipality in 1838. In 1992, it merged with the neighboring municipality of Sørøysund to form a larger municipality with the same name. In 2020, it became part of the newly formed Troms og Finnmark county.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "06913: Population 1 January and population changes during the calendar year (M) 1951 - 2023. Statbank Norway". SSB. Retrieved 2023-04-27.
- "09280: Area of land and fresh water (km²) (M) 2007 - 2023. Statbank Norway". SSB. Retrieved 2023-04-27.
- "Formannskapsdistrikt". Academic Dictionaries and Encyclopedias. Retrieved 2023-04-27.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2012-09-01. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- Nikel, David (2020-01-19). "A New Map of Norway: Meet Norway's New Counties". Life in Norway. Retrieved 2023-04-27.