|Happy New Year|
|Directed by||Farah Khan|
|Written by||Mayur Puri (Dialogue)|
|Screenplay by||Farah Khan|
|Story by||Farah Khan|
|Produced by||Karuna Badwal|
|Starring||Shah Rukh Khan|
|Narrated by||Shah Rukh Khan|
|Edited by||Anand Subaya|
John Stewart Eduri
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Box office||₹408 crore|
Happy New Year (sometimes abbreviated as HNY) is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language action comedy film  directed by Farah Khan and produced by Gauri Khan under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment. The film features an ensemble cast of Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Sonu Sood, Boman Irani, Vivaan Shah and Jackie Shroff. It was distributed worldwide by Yash Raj Films. The film marked the third collaboration of Khan with the director; they previously worked on Main Hoon Na (2004) and Om Shanti Om (2007), the latter of which also featured Padukone as the female lead.
Happy New Year was released on October 24, 2014, during Diwali with dubbed versions in Tamil and Telugu and it was the biggest film release in India up until then. The film received mixed reviews and became a blockbuster grossing ₹50 crore (US$6.6 million) in India on its first day, setting the record for the highest first-day collection made by an Indian film to that point, and over ₹408 crore (US$54 million) worldwide, and it became the second highest-grossing Bollywood film of 2014 and among the highest-grossing Bollywood films of all time.
Cast[change | change source]
- Shah Rukh Khan as Chandramohan Manohar Sharma / "Charlie": Mohini's lover; Charan Grover's nemesis
- Deepika Padukone as Mohini Joshi: Charlie's love interest; Vicky Grover's love interest
- Abhishek Bachchan as Nandu Bhide / Vicky Grover charan's son (Dual role)
- Sonu Sood as ex capt- Jagmohan Prakash Singh / "Jag": Rohan's Uncle
- Boman Irani as Temhton Irani / "Tammy" Manohar's friend
- Vivaan Shah as Rohan Singh, Jag's nephew
- Jackie Shroff as Charan Grover, Vicky's father, the main antagonist.
- Mohan Kapur as Charan's assistant
- Varun Pruthi as Charan's assistant Sartaj Gill
- Kavi Shastri as Mr. Gupta
- Anupam Kher as Manohar Sharma, Charlie's late father (Cameo Appearance)
- Daisy Irani as Namita Irani (Cameo Appearance)
- Sarah-Jane Dias as Laila: India's ambassador at WDC (Cameo Appearance)
- Dino Morea as Host of World Dance Championship (Cameo Appearance)
- Kiku Sharda as Saroj Khan (Cameo Appearance)
- Prabhu Deva as Dance Instructor (Cameo Appearance)
- Malaika Arora Khan as the Heroine of a Film (Cameo Appearance)
- Anurag Kashyap as Himself/Judge of World Dance Championship Auditions (Cameo Appearance)
- Vishal Dadlani as Himself/Judge of World Dance Championship Auditions (Cameo Appearance)
- Sajid Khan as Himself/Director of a Film (Special Appearance)
- Geeta Kapoor as Herself/Judge of World Dance Championship (Cameo Appearance)
- Jay J Jakkrit as Team Korea Leader
References[change | change source]
- Subhash K. Jha (22 November 2015). "Kajol takes hubby's name for the first time". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 25 June 2018. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
Starting with his upcoming film Chennai Express, the credit rolls will not feature his name first, but that of his leading actress.
- "HAPPY NEW YEAR (12A) - British Board of Film Classification". British Board of Film Classification. Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Happy New Year". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 23 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Happy New Year (2014) - Farah Khan". AllMovie. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Yash Raj Films". Yash Raj Films. 24 March 2014. Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Top India Screens All Time". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 23 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Sarah-Jane Dias bags cast honour in Shahrukh-Farah Khan's HAPPY NEW YEAR – Yahoo Movies India". Yahoo!. 13 February 2014. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Dino Morea to play a small role in Shah Rukh Khan's 'Happy New Year'". The Indian Express. 29 March 2014. Archived from the original on 31 October 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Shah Rukh Khan mesmerised by Prabhu Deva's Happy New Year dance moves – NDTV". Movies.ndtv.com. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Malaika Arora Khan: Just doing a cameo in Happy New Year – NDTV". Movies.ndtv.com. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Dadlani to 'Expose' in Shah Rukh Khan Starrer 'Happy New Year'". Ibtimes.co.in. 10 June 2014. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Sajid Khan to do cameo in Farah's Happy New Year | Hindi Movies News". BollywoodHungama.com. 22 October 2013. Archived from the original on 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.