Hari at the 62nd Filmfare South Awards
26 December 1968
Hari (born 26 December 1968) is an Indian movie director, best known for his action-masala films in Tamil cinema. He made his directional debut in the movie Thamizh (2002).  After this breakthrough, he gave many commercial success movies such as Saamy (2003), Kovil (2004), Ayya (2005), Thaamirabharani (2007), Vel (2007) and Singam (2010) movie series. He has directed 15 movies.
Background[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
Hari first joined as an assistant, gaining experience by working with various directors; K. Natraj in Valli, Nassar in Avatharam and Alex Pandian. Later, he assisted K. Balachander in his film Kalki and worked as an associate director with Saran in the films Amarkalam, Parthen Rasithen and Alli Arjuna.
His first film, in 2002, was Thamizh, with Prashanth and Simran. Film critic Balaji commented that it was "one of the few movies in recent times where a lot of importance seems to have been attached to the script. In spite of the flimsy story and routine screenplay where a youth grows to be a "dada", the dialogs elevate the quality of the movie and make it very enjoyable". His second film Saamy, under the Kavithaalaya banner, starred Vikram. It was named the year's biggest hit, grossing 160 million. Its success led to remakes; in Telugu (Lakshmi Narasimha), Kannada (Ayya) and Hindi languages (Policegiri). His next two films Kovil, with Silambarasan and Arul also starred Vikram. In 2005, he made Ayya, starring Sarathkumar, which introduced Nayantara to Tamil cinema. His next film was Aaru, with Suriya in 2005. In 2007, he directed two films, Thaamirabharani with Vishal and Vel, with Suriya. In 2008, he directed Seval, with Bharath. Ayyappa Prasad from Nowrunning.com stated that Hari "panders to the taste of his rural audience all the way, but the movie is bound to disappoint city-dwellers, since neither the story nor its treatment appeal to anyone with high IQ .
Filmography[change | change source]
|2004||Kovil||Silambarasan, Sonia Agarwal|
|2005||Ayya||R. Sarathkumar, Napoleon, Nayanthara|
|2008||Seval||Bharath, Simran, Poonam Bajwa|
|2010||Singam||Suriya, Anushka Shetty, Prakash Raj|
|2011||Venghai||Dhanush, Rajkiran, Tamannaah|
|2013||Singam II||Suriya, Anushka Shetty, Hansika Motwani|
|2014||Poojai||Vishal, Shruthi Haasan, Sathyaraj|
|2017||Singam III||Suriya, Anushka Shetty, Shruthi Haasan|
|2018||Saamy 2||Vikram, Keerthy Suresh, Bobby Simha|
|2019||Suriya 39||Suriya, Priya Anand, Sameera Reddy||Pre-Production|
Lyricist[change | change source]
- 2004 Kovil
- 2005 Aaru
- 2007 Thaamirabharani
- 2007 Vel
- 2008 Seval
- 2010 Singam
- 2011 Venghai
- 2017 Singam III
- 2018 Saamy 2
References[change | change source]
- HARI KRISHNAN tamilfilmdirectorsassociation.com
- Kumar, Harish (22 March 2018). "Hari (Director) Wiki, Biography, Age, Wife, Movies, Images".
- "06-06-03". Web.archive.org. 4 August 2003. Archived from the original on 4 August 2003. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "14-06-03". Web.archive.org. 4 August 2003. Archived from the original on 4 August 2003. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Hari Tamil Director | Movie Director Hari Story | News, Gossips, Specials, Rumers, Shooting spot, Sneak Previews, New Releases". Koodal.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Hari Tamil Celebrity HARI | Tamil Celebrity Actor, actress, Directors, Important Person Interviews". Koodal.com. 10 March 2012. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
-  Archived 2 March 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Balaji Balasubramaniam. "Balaji's Tamil Movie Reviews". Bbthots.com. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- D Govardan, TNN 26 August 2003, 01.52am IST (26 August 2003). "Tamil films enter hit zone in 2003 – Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 26 March 2014.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Reel of fortune". The Hindu. 29 December 2003. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Tamil film Raam to be remade in Kannada – The Times of India" (in German). Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- PTI (28 March 2013). "Sanjay Dutt to complete shoot of 'Policegiri': Producer – Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Seval Review – Tamil Movie Review by Ayyappa Prasad". Nowrunning.com. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "TOP 20 CHENNAI BOX OFFICE COLLECTION OF 2010 – Behindwoods.com – Tamil Movie Slide Shows – Endhiran | Nandalala | Myna | Singam | Paiyaa | Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa | Naan Mahaan Alla | Uthama Puthiran | Angadi Theru". Behindwoods.com. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Singam Review – Tamil Movie Singam Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Movie Review : Singam- Review". Sify.com. Retrieved 10 March 2014.