Healing is a process that happens in the body. Through healing, cells are able to repair damaged tissue. There are two different ways healing can happen:
- The damaged tissue is replaced with tissue of the same kind. This is called regeneration.
- The damaged tissue is replaced with scar tissue. This is called repair
Most healing processes combine both ways of healing.
Other websites[change | change source]
- How wounds heal and tumors form Archived 2006-08-22 at the Wayback Machine With this simple Flash demonstration, Harvard professor Donald Ingber explains how wounds heal, why scars form, and how tumors develop. Presented by Children's Hospital Boston.
- Wound Healing Archived 2005-03-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Wound Healing and Repair
- Lorenz H.P. and Longaker M.T. Wounds: Biology, Pathology, and Management Archived 2005-10-31 at the Wayback Machine. Stanford University Medical Center.
- Romo T. and McLaughlin L.A. 2003. Wound Healing, Skin. Emedicine.com.
- Rosenberg L. and de la Torre J. 2003. Wound Healing, Growth Factors. Emedicine.com.