Help:Translate English into Simple English
Decision making involves identifying and then choosing from a number of alternatives. So first you have to think about the variety of responses or actions you could take to alleviate the problem or improve the process. Then you need to choose the best one based on some pre-determined criteria.
Specific words[change | change source]
A word in English will be shown and next to it will be the Simple English version. This is in alphabetical order.
- abandon - give up, leave a person or object behind
- continuous - not ending, going on
- contradict - to go against
- depict - to show
- expand - to become large / to make large
- individual - person (when it means a person: the word individual has other meanings)
- justified - lawful, right
- luminescent - giving light
- obtained - got
- originate - come from
- performed - did
- specific - special
- taken aback - surprised and perhaps shocked
- transfer - move to or change to
- translate - to turn one language into another language or link to Translation
- various - many
Other[change | change source]
- film - movie
- American (United States) - Should be linked to a more specific term, such as United States or Americans because American has other meanings. See the disambiguation page American for other meanings. To use the word American but link to a more specific meaning, use a piped link like this:
Television[change | change source]
Most often these changes are because the term can mean different things. It is better to use terms with only one meaning, or the fewest meanings if no term exists with only one. The terms should be linked the first time they are used in an article.
- Show - Television programme or television series. Program (UK:programme) and series are good but still must be linked the first time used.
- Air - Broadcast
- TV is acceptable but should be linked to television the first time it is used.