Helsinki – Helsingfors
City of Helsinki
|Nickname(s): Stadi, Hesa|
Location in the Uusimaa region and the Helsinki sub-region
|• Total||715.55 km2 (276.28 sq mi)|
|• Land||213 km2 (82 sq mi)|
|• Water||502.55 km2 (194.04 sq mi)|
|Area rank||167th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||Largest in Finland|
|• Density||2,866.67/km2 (7,424.6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Helsinki (Swedish: Helsingfors) is the capital city of Finland. Helsinki is the largest city in Finland. 604,380(31.12.2012) people live in Helsinki, and 1,360,000 live in the Helsinki metropolitan area.
Helsinki is in the south of Finland, on the coast of the Gulf of Finland. City is in the Uusimaa region. When one looks from Helsinki, Tallinn is on the opposite side of the sea, but it is too far away to see. A poetic name for Helsinki is "the daughter of the Baltic Sea".
History[change | change source]
In 1550, Swedish king Gustav Vasa commanded people to build a new city and move there. His idea was to build a new place to trade, which would be more popular than Tallinn. The idea did not work well, and many people returned from Helsinki to their homes. Later Sweden built the fortress Suomenlinna in Helsinki. After Russia had taken Finland from Sweden in several wars, they started developing Helsinki. Helsinki became the capital of autonomous province of Finland. When Finland became independent in 1917, Helsinki stayed as the capital city.
Geography[change | change source]
Helsinki spreads around several bays and over several islands. Some famous islands include Seurasaari, Lauttasaari and Korkeasaari - which is also the country's biggest zoo - as well as the fortress island of Suomenlinna (Sveaborg).
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Ainiala, Terhi (2009). "Place Names in the Construction of Social Identities: The Uses of Names of Helsinki". Research Institute for the Languages of Finland. http://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/xmlui/handle/10315/2924. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Väestötietojärjestelmä Rekisteritilanne 31.8.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. http://vrk.fi/default.aspx?docid=7675&site=3&id=0. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Helsinki|
- City of Helsinki web site - English version
- City portal of Helsinki - English version
- Finland Travel Community
- WorldFlicks in Helsinki: Photos and interesting places on Google Maps