Hershel W. Williams
|Hershel Woodrow Williams|
Hershel W. Williams in 2010
|Born||October 2, 1923
Fairmont, West Virginia
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1943-1945, 1948-1949, 1954-1969|
|Rank||Chief Warrant Officer 4|
|Unit||1st Battalion, 21st Marines|
|Battles/wars||World War II
• Battle of Iwo Jima
|Awards||Medal of Honor (1945)
|Other work||Veterans Administration|
Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams (born October 2, 1923) is a retired United States Marine. He received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Iwo Jima during World War II. He is also the last surviving recipient of the Medal of Honor from that battle.
References[change | change source]
- "Cpl Hersel W. Williams, Medal of Honor, 1945, 1/21/3, Iwo Jima (Medal of Honor citation)". Marines Awarded the Medal of Honor. United States Marine Corps History Division. Archived from the original on 2007-02-20.
- "Chief Warrant Officer 4 Hershel Woodrow Williams, USMCR". Who's Who in Marine Corps History. United States Marine Corps History Division. Retrieved July 7, 2010.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Hershel W. Williams at Wikimedia Commons
- "Interview at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library". Retrieved December 30, 2013.
- "Woody Williams Medal of Honor recipient at shadowwolf.org". Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- "C-SPAN Interview With Williams". Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Discovery Channel Videos: Sons of Guns: Medal of Honor Encounter". Retrieved March 28, 2011.