|Hester Shaw |
|First appearance||Mortal Engines|
|Last appearance||A Darkling Plain|
|Created by||Philip Reeve|
Background and life[change | change source]
Hester Shaw, aged around fifteen at the beginning of the Quartet, is the daughter of Thaddeus Valentine and Pandora Shaw. She was raised by Shrike.
Hester is portrayed as having copper hair and gray eyes. She has a scar which cut her face from forehead to jaw, a wrenched mouth, a stump nose, and a single eye.
The character's surname comes from Shaugh Prior.
Role[change | change source]
In the first novel of the Mortal Engines Quartet (known in US as The Hungry City Chronicles), Mortal Engines, her botched assassination attempt on Thaddeus Valentine led to Tom Natsworthy and set off a chain of events that would change a course of history.
In other media[change | change source]
There is a 28mm figure based on Hester Shaw.
In Mortal Engines, the film adaptation of the first book, Hester is portrayed by twenty-eight-year-old Icelandic actress Hera Hilmar as an adult, while the young Hester is played by New Zealand child actress Poppy Macleod. Her scar is heavily toned down, and she is aged to her twenties. Hilmar described her character as challenging to play. Christian Rivers, the director of the film, addressed the fan criticism over Hester's scar, stating that audiences would be "put off the film" if it were more true to the books. The author acknowledged the difference. Other changes include: she lost her mother when she was eight and she fought Valentine aboard his airship.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Jr, Mike Fleming (February 7, 2017). "Peter Jackson's 'Mortal Engines' Sets Hera Hilmar As Female Lead". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 2017-06-15. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "Philip Reeve discusses the influences on the Mortal Engines books". www.mortalenginesmovie.com. July 2017. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- Reeves, Philip (February 27, 2011). "It's alive". Philip-Reeve.com (Blog). Archived from the original on 2019-11-06.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Alyssa Burnett photos". StarNow.co.uk.
- "I was curious and I actually found a hester shaw cosplay??? oh wow!". Archived from the original on 2019-11-06.
- Reeves, Philip (February 24, 2014). "Wargaming the Traction Era". Philip-Reeve.com (Blog). Archived from the original on 2019-11-06.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Leadbeater, Alex (June 5, 2018). "The 7 Biggest Changes Mortal Engines Makes To The Book". Screen Rant. Retrieved 2019-10-29.
- Christina Radish (December 13, 2018). "Hera Hilmar on 'Mortal Engines' and the Challenge of Bringing Hester Shaw to Life". Collider.com. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- Romano, Nick (October 11, 2018). "Peter Jackson, Mortal Engines director discuss fan pushback over Hester's scar". Entertainment Weekly. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved 2019-10-29.
- Truitt, Brian (December 10, 2018). "'Mortal Engines' star Hera Hilmar wears her heroine's controversial scar proudly". USA Today. Retrieved 2019-10-29.
- Philip Reeve (2018-06-06). "Mortal Engines: Trailer 2". Philip-Reeve.com (Blog). Archived from the original on 2019-10-29. Retrieved 2019-11-07.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)