Highmark Stadium is a large stadium in Orchard Park, New York. It is the home of the Buffalo Bills team.
The stadium has had several names during its history. It opened in 1973 as Rich Stadium, after the food products company of that name. After the sponsorship contract ran out in 1998, it was renamed Ralph Wilson Stadium in honor of Ralph Wilson (1918-2014), the team's founding owner from 1960 until his death in 2014. A new sponsorship contract with locally based headwear company New Era in 2016 led to a new name of New Era Field. In July 2020, New Era asked to be released from its contract, and the stadium became Bills Stadium for the 2020 NFL season. The current name took effect in March 2021, after regional health insurance company Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield signed a 10-year naming deal.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Ralph Wilson Stadium Facts and Figures". buffalobills.com. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- ↑ Fauber, John (May 17, 1989). "What's in a name?". Milwaukee Journal. p. 8C.[permanent dead link]
- ↑ Warren, Matt (May 9, 2009). "On the naming rights to Ralph Wilson Stadium". SBNation. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- ↑ "New Era Cap takes over stadium naming rights for Buffalo Bills; Team to now play at New Era Field" (Press release). Buffalo Bills. August 18, 2016. Archived from the original on August 19, 2016. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- ↑ Jeff Russo (July 15, 2020). "New Era name to be dropped from Buffalo Bills stadium". WKBW. Retrieved July 15, 2020.
- ↑ "Bills to use this name for their stadium in Orchard Park". buffalobills.com. Buffalo Bills. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- ↑ Williams, Charean (2021-03-29). "Bills rename stadium to Highmark Stadium after naming-rights deal". ProFootballTalk. Retrieved 2021-03-29.