Housefull film series
|Housefull Film Series|
|Created by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Original work||Housefull (2010)|
|Owner||Eros International |
Fox Star Studios
|Films and television|
|Film(s)||List of films|
Housefull is an Indian comedy film series. The franchise is produced by Sajid Nadiadwala and distributed by Eros International, Fox Star Studios. Based on reincarnation theme, it is the most expensive Indian comedy film ever made. Each film starts with a fresh story unrelated with the preceding film's story. However, the theme and the pace remains the same.
Overview[change | change source]
Housefull (2010)[change | change source]
Aarush (Akshay Kumar) is unlucky man and carries his bad luck wherever he goes. His quest to find love only makes his life more miserable as he ends up in complicated situations.
Housefull 2 (2012)[change | change source]
This film is an adaptation of the Marathi film "Dam Dam Diga Diga", released in 2008 and Telugu film Hungama, released in 2005, which is a remake of Malayalam movie Mattupetti Machan. Released in 1998, the film follows four men who join hands to date and marry the women of their dreams by changing their identities and deceiving their prospective fathers-in-law.
Housefull 3 (2016)[change | change source]
A rich businessman does not want his three daughters to get married because of a superstitious belief. Now, their boyfriends must prove to him that they are perfect for his daughters.
Housefull 4 (2019)[change | change source]
Three brothers are set to marry three sisters. However, a peek into the distant past reveals to one of the brothers that their brides have been mixed up in their current reincarnation.
Films[change | change source]
|Film||Release date||Director||Screenwriter(s)||Story by||Producer|
|Housefull||30 April 2010||Sajid Khan||Milap Zaveri, Sajid Khan, Vibha Singh||Sajid Nadiadwala||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Housefull 2||5 April 2012||Sajid Khan, Farhad-Sajid|
|Housefull 3||3 June 2016||Sajid-Farhad||Sajid-Farhad, Rajan Agarwal||K. Subash|
|Housefull 4||25 October 2019||Farhad Samji||Farhad Samji, Tushar Hiranandani, Sparsh Khetarpal, Tasha Bhambra||Sara Bodinar, Sajid Nadiadwala|
Housefull[change | change source]
The first installment of the series, based on the 1998 Tamil film Kaathala Kaathala by Singeetam Srinivasa Rao. Housefull was released on 30 April 2010, received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Review aggregator website ReviewGang rated the film 3.5/10. On website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 43% rotten rating. Upon release, the film had a good opening weekend of Rs. 410 million in India. This gave Akshay Kumar his biggest opening till date, beating Singh Is Kinng. Housefull's opening weekend was the second-highest opening weekend collection of all time, behind 3 Idiots. Housefull was released in Blu-ray and DVD in October 2010. The film's DVD went on to become the first Bollywood film to release on a three-disc edition, as the first disc included the film, the second disc included the video commentary by Sajid Khan, Ritesh Deshmukh, Lara Dutta, Boman Irani and Chunkey Pandey, while the third disc included a documentary.
Housefull 2[change | change source]
After the success of Housefull Sajid Khan and Akshay Kumar Re-unite once again for sequel. The film was titled as Housefull 2 and also second installment in this series. The film stars Akshay Kumar, John Abraham, Riteish Deshmukh, Asin Thottumkal in lead roles. Based on the 1998 Malayalam film Mattupetti Machan by Jose Thomas. Housefull 2 released on 5 April 2012 (worldwide). It received more positive than its predecessor, it still received mixed reviews by critics. The Times of India gave the movie 3.5 out of 5 stars, praising the performance of Akshay Kumar and Asin. The film had a good first day as it collected ₹133 million (US$2.3 million) nett. Housefull 2 grossed ₹1140 million (US$19 million) in India. It was the fourth most successful film of the year. Asin's third most successful film. In North America, it was the second Hindi film to enter the top 10 after Kites, with $847,132, ranking at No. 9 behind The Hunger Games, American Reunion, Titanic 3D, Wrath of the Titans, Mirror Mirror, 21 Jump Street, The Lorax, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen with a solid $7,001 average in 121 theatres. It became the highest grossing Hindi film in New Zealand, grossing NZ$260,000 in three weeks, thus surpassing 3 Idiots and My Name is Khan.
Housefull 3[change | change source]
A sequel, Housefull 3, was commissioned after the success of the previous film and was also directed by Sajid-Farhad, with both Akshay and Jacqueline reprising their roles and Aarav Chowdhary in a cameo role. The film focused on a rich businessman who does not want his three daughters to get married because of a superstitious belief. Now, their boyfriends must prove to him that they are perfect for his daughters. It was released on 3 June 2016 to positive reviews from both critics and audiences. The film grossed approximately ₹15.25 crore (US$2.6 million) on its first day in India The film's final domestic gross stands at ₹110 crore (US$19 million) and overseas gross stands at ₹85 crore (US$14 million), thus taking the total worldwide gross to ₹195 crore (US$33 million).
Housefull 4[change | change source]
The fourth installment in this series, directed by Farhad Samji and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala. The film stars Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh, Pooja Hegde, Kriti Sanon and Kriti Kharbanda in lead roles. The film focused on Three brothers are set to marry three sisters. However, a peek into the distant past reveals to one of the brothers that their brides have been mixed up in their current reincarnation. Housefull 4 was released on 25 October 2019 during the Diwali festival. It received mixed to positive response from audience, Koimoi gave 3.5 stars out of 5 and said, "Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali." Housefull 4's opening day domestic collection was ₹16.50 crore. On the second day, the film collected ₹17.00 crore. On the third day, the film collected ₹13.00 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹46.50 crore.As of 5 December 2019[update], with a gross of ₹231.67 crore in India and ₹48.60 crore overseas, the film has a worldwide gross collection of ₹280.27 crore and is the eighth highest-grossing Bollywood film of 2019.
Future films[change | change source]
|Film||Release date||Director||Screenwriter(s)||Story by||Producer(s)||Status|
|Housefull 5||2024||Sajid Khan||TBA||Sajid Nadiadwala||In-Devlopment|
Housefull 5[change | change source]
After the success of the fourth film, the makers have stated that they will return for a fourth film in the series, but "say, after five years". Housefull 5 will mark the return of Deepika Padukone, Kriti Sanon, John Abraham, Abhishek Bachchan, Jacqueline Fernandez, Pooja Hegde, Akshay Kumar and others from the previous four installments to the project.
Recurring cast and characters[change | change source]
This table lists the main characters who appear in the Houseful Franchise.
- A dark grey cell indicates the character was not in the film.
- TBA blue cell indicates the character name not fixed yet in the film.
|Housefull||Housefull 2||Housefull 3||Housefull 4||
|Akshay Kumar||Aarush||Sunny||Sandy/Sundy||Harry / Rajkumar Bala Dev Singh||Sunny|
|Riteish Deshmukh||Baburao "Bob"||Jolly / Jwala||Teddy||Roy / Bangdu Maharaj||Bobby|
|Deepika Padukone||Soundarya "Sandy" Bhagyalaxmi Venkateswari Basappa Rao||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty||Soundarya "Sandy" Bhagyalaxmi Venkateswari Basappa Rao|
|Boman Irani||Batuk Patel||Template:CEmpty||Batuknath Patel|
|Chunky Pandey||Aakhri Pasta||Aakhri Pasta / Pehla Pasta||Sasta Pasta|
|Jacqueline Fernandez||Dhanno||Bobby Kapoor||Ganga "Gracy" Patel||Template:CEmpty||Jenny|
|John Abraham||Template:CEmpty||Max||colspan=2 Template:CEmpty||Manish|
|Malaika Arora||Pooja||Anarkali||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty|
|Vindu Dara Singh||Security Guard||Sosa||colspan=2 Template:CEmpty||TBA|
|Manoj Pahwa||Banta Singh||colspan=2 Template:CEmpty||Big Bhai||TBA|
|Kriti Sanon||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty||Kriti / Rajkumari Madhu||Kriti Verma|
|Pooja Hegde||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty||Pooja / Rajkumari Mala||Pooja Sharma|
|Ranjeet||Template:CEmpty||Ranjeet K. Pujari||Template:CEmpty||Thakral / Maharaj Surya Singh Rana||TBA|
|Johnny Lever||Template:CEmpty||Mithai Patil||Template:CEmpty||Winston Churchgate/Gigli||TBA|
|Abhishek Bachchan||colspan=2 Template:CEmpty||Bunty||Template:CEmpty||Bunty|
|Asin||Template:CEmpty||Heena Kapoor||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty|
|Rana Daggubati||colspan=3 Template:CEmpty||Sardar Gama / Pappu bhai||TBA|
Additional crew and production details[change | change source]
|Housefull 4 |
|Director||Sajid Khan||Sajid-Farhad||Farhad Samji|
|Story||Sajid Nadiadwala||K. Subash||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Dialogues||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Sajid-Farhad||Farhad Samji|
Julius Packiam (Background score)
Julius Packiam (Background score)
|Director of photography||Vikas Sivaraman||Manoj Soni||Vikas Sivaraman||Sudeep Chatterjee|
|Editor(s)||Rameshwar S. Bhagat||Steven Bernard||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
|Production Companies||Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment||Fox Star Studios, Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment|
|Distributing Companies||Eros International||Fox Star Studios|
|Running Time||155 minutes||160 minutes||134 minutes||145 minutes|
Box office[change | change source]
|Film||Release date||Budget||Box office revenue|
|Housefull||30 April 2010||₹30 crore (US$5.1 million)||₹125 crore (US$21 million)|
|Housefull 2||5 April 2012||₹45 crore (US$7.7 million)||₹186 crore (US$32 million).|
|Housefull 3||3 June 2016||₹60 crore (US$10 million)||₹195 crore (US$33 million)|
|Housefull 4||25 October 2019||₹75 crore (US$13 million)||₹280 crore (US$48 million)|
|Total||₹210 crore (US$36 million)
|₹786 crore (US$130 million)|
Music[change | change source]
Soundtracks[change | change source]
|Housefull: Orginal Motion Picture Soundtrack||16 March 2010||30:32||T-Series|
|Housefull 2: Orginal Motion Picture Soundtrack||22 February 2012||37:00|
|Housefull 3: Orginal Motion Picture Soundtrack||10 May 2016||15:50|
|Housefull 4: Orginal Motion Picture Soundtrack||23 October 2019||17:35|
Awards and nominations[change | change source]
|2011||6th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards||Best Film||Nominated|
|2011 Zee Cine Awards||*Best Director– Sajid Khan||Nominated|
|*Best Actor – Akshay Kumar||Won|
|*Best Music – Shankar Ehsaan Loy||Nominated|
|*Best Supporting Actress – Lara Dutta||Nominated|
|*Best Comedian – Riteish Deshmukh||Nominated|
|*Zee Cine Award for Best Track of the Year – "Aapka Kya Hoga" (Jacqueline Fernandez)||Nominated|
|IIFA Awards||*Best Performance in a Comic Role – Riteish Deshmukh||Won|
|Stardust Awards||*Star of the Year – Male – Akshay Kumar||Won|
|*Best Supporting Actor – Arjun Rampal||Won|
|2013||IIFA Awards||*IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actress - Jacqueline Fernandez||Won|
|2017||Stardust Awards||*Best Actress Female - Jacqueline Fernandez||Won|
|2020||Screen Awards||* Best Comedian - Akshay Kumar||Nominated|
References[change | change source]
- ADESARA, HETAL (4 May 2010). "Box Office: Housefull holds on Monday with Rs 50 million net collections in India". Businessofcinema. Archived from the original on 30 November 2010. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Housefull 2 Cast and Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Parkar, Shaheen (5 April 2011). "Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy replaced by Sajid-Wajid". Mid-Day. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (11 May 2010). "Housefull, a remake of Kaathala Kaathala?". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 19 May 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Housefull Movie Reviews- Review Gang". Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "House Full". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "'Housefull' nets Rs 640mn worldwide in opening weekend". indiainfoline.com. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Akshay's Record Broken; Deepika's Unlikely Though". Theindian.com. 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Vinod Marani (3 May 2010). "Housefull gets biggest opening since 3 Idiots". Rediff. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Dubey, Rachana (12 May 2010). "Housefull on Blu-ray". Hindustantimes. Archived from the original on 6 September 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Sajid Nadiadwala Confirms Housefull 2". Sawf News. 30 September 2010. Archived from the original on 27 February 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Asin replaces Deepika in Housefull 2". The Times of India. 31 January 2011. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Housefull 2 To Release On 2700 Screens. Box Office India.com (6 April 2012). Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Housefull 2: Times of India Review". The Times of India. 6 April 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Housefull 2 Has Good First Day". Box Office India. 3 April 2012. Archived from the original on 9 April 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Housefull 2 Crosses 400 Crore Nett In 17 days Archived 6 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Box Office India.com (23 April 2011). Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Housefull 2 lifetime worldwide collections in 7 weeks". 29 May 2012.
- Weekend Box Office for April 6–8, 2012. Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Housefull 2 is second best opener of 2012. Hindustan Times (9 April 2012)
- Housefull 2 Is ALL TIME BLOCKBUSTER In New Zealand. Box Office India. (30 April 2011). Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Housefull 3 is on the cards: Sajid Nadiadwala Archived 29 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Hindustan Times (10 April 2012). Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Housefull 3 song Pyaar Ki: Akshay, Jacqueline, Nargis, Abhishek, Riteish and Lisa's love track is absolutely fabulous!". Bollywood Life. 25 April 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Housefull 3 First Day Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Housefull 3 box office collections: Akshay Kumar's movie earns Rs. 80.10 cr. in India". The Indian Express. 4 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Akshay Kumar and his gang to return with Housefull 4 on Diwali 2019". Indian Express. 27 October 2017. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Housefull 4 to be released on Diwali 2019, will be directed by Sajid Khan". Business Today. Archived from the original on 27 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Punwani, Umesh (26 October 2019). "Housefull 4 Movie Review: Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh & Gang Gift Us Punlimited Fun This Diwali". Koimoi. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Housefull 4 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Deepika, John, Kriti, Abhishek,Jacqueline join Akshay Kumar again in Sajid Nadiadwala's Housefull 5". pinkvilla.com. Retrieved 10 December 2020.
- "Housefull 5 Cast And Release Date". m.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 10 December 2020.
- Akshay Kumar. "Miliye 1419 ke Rajkumar Bala aur 2019 ke London return Harry se! Witness how they embark upon this journey of ultimate chaos, confusion and madness in the #Housefull4 Trailer. Out on 27th September". Twitter. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Budget of Akshay Kumar's Housefull". Indicine.com. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers ALL TIME: 37 Films Hit 100 Crore". Archived from the original on 5 February 2012.
- "Top Ten Worldwide Grossers 2012". Box Office India. 17 January 2013. Archived from the original on 20 January 2013.
- "Housefull 3 Box-Office: This Akshay Kumar film is the second highest opener of 2016".
- "Housefull 3 - Movie - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- Singh, Shalu (2 April 2018). "Akshay Kumar starrer Housefull 4 earns Rs 200 crore even before its shooting! Here's how". www.indiatvnews.com.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Housefull 4 Box Office Collection till Now | Box Collection - Bollywood Hungama".
- "Housefull: Soundtrack listing". Archived from the original on 10 November 2011.
- "Housefull 2 song leaked". Bollywood Hungama. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Housefull 4 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "Nominations for 6th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 9 January 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 16 January 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Stardust.co.in – StardustAwardWinner2011". Magnamags.com. 9 February 2011. Archived from the original on 17 August 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2011.