|Sir Ian McKellen
CH Kt CBE
McKellen at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2013.
|Born||Ian Murray McKellen
25 May 1939 
Burnley, Lancashire, England, UK
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Partner||Brian Taylor (1964–1972)
Sean Mathias (1978–1988)
Best known for his roles as Gandalf in the 2001-2003 Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, as Sir Leigh Teabing in The Da Vinci Code, and as Magneto in the X-Men series of movies. He is openly gay and is a prominent activist for the rights of LGBT people.
Movies[change | change source]
- Apt Pupil (1998)
- Gods and Monsters (1998)
- X-Men (2000)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- X2: X-Men United (2003)
- Emile, (2005)
- Asylum, (2005)
- The Magic Roundabout, as Zebedee (2005) (movie known as "Dougal" in the United States)
- Flushed Away, (2006)
- The Da Vinci Code, (as Sir Leigh Teabing) (2006)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
References[change | change source]
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (Time Inc.) (1208): p. 21. May 25, 2012.
- Ian McKellen is battling prostate cancer
- "In 1988 Ian McKellen left an autograph for Michael Howard children with words “F*** off, I’m gay.”". http://historianbook.com/in-1988-ian-mckellen-left-an-autograph-for-michael-howard-children-with-words-fuck-off-im-gay/. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ian McKellen|
- The papers of Sir Ian McKellen, actor are held by the Victoria and Albert Museum Theatre and Performance Department.
- Ian McKellen at the Internet Broadway Database
- Ian McKellen at the Internet Movie Database
- Biography of Sir Ian McKellen, CH, CBE, Debrett's