Murdock, in interview, April 2008
|Died||28 December 2015 (aged 42)|
|Alma mater||Purdue University|
|Known for||Debian GNU/Linux|
Ian Murdock (28 April 1973 – 28 December 2015) was a German-born American software engineer. He was known for being the founder of the Debian project and Progeny Linux Systems, a commercial Linux company. He was born in Konstanz, Germany.
Murdock died on 28 December 2015 from unknown causes in San Francisco, California at the age of 42. Details surrounding his death have not been released. The last tweets at his Twitter account described violent encounters with police. It was reported that he declared an intention to commit suicide over Twitter, but there is as of now no public record of such a tweet. It was reported that police officer found Murdock drunk and that he did not appear suicidal.
References[change | change source]
- "About me « Ian Murdock's Weblog". 22 July 2014. Archived from the original on 9 October 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- Golub, Ben (30 December 2015). "In Memoriam: Ian Murdock". Docker Blog. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Guerrero Lopez, Ana; Norwood, Donald; Tagliamonte, Paul (30 December 2015). "Debian mourns the passing of Ian Murdock". Bits from Debian. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Ian Murdock". Archived from the original on 29 December 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- Biggs, John (30 December 2015). "Debian Creator Ian Murdock Dead At 42". Tech Crunch.