|Adventure Time character|
|First appearance||Adventure Time (rough-cut)|
"Prisoners of Love" (official)
|Last appearance||"Come Along With Me"|
|Created by||Pendleton Ward|
|Voiced by||Tom Kenny |
John Kassir (pilot)
|Occupation||Monarch of the fictional Ice Kingdom (formerly)|
Antiquarian (Simon Petrikov)
|Family||Betty Grof (fiancée) |
The Ice King is a fictional character in the American animated television series Adventure Time. He is an evil wizard that could create and manipulating ice and snow. He calls himself the king of the Ice Kingdom, a land of ice he claimed as his own where he lives in the company of many penguins.
Character[change | change source]
Originally in the first seasons, he wanted to kidnap Princess Bubblegum on a regular basis. As the show progressed, he became a kind-hearted but misunderstood old man with completely twisted senses of morality and social behavior. He suffered from memory loss. Later seasons unveil his tragic backstory, revealing he was once a good human named Simon Petrikov who lost his mind, memories and loved ones due to the magic crown giving him his ice powers which was seen in the episode "Holly Jolly Secrets".
In the episodes "I Remember You" and "Simon & Marcy", it revealed the Ice King's relation with Marceline the Vampire Queen almost a thousand years before the beginning of the series, are often considered two of the show's very best.
Reception[change | change source]
At first the character received negative reviews, but later when his backstory and development was showed in the show, he received positive reviews. Many people compare his character's mental issues to that of Alzheimer's and bipolar disorder.
References[change | change source]
- "Adventure Time". Behind the Voice Actors. Retrieved January 14, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Adventure Time, Vol. 11". iTunes Store.
- Ulaby, Neda; Grossman, Lev (June 17, 2013). "An 'Adventure' For Kids And Maybe For Their Parents, Too". NPR. Retrieved June 24, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (March 31)". TV.com. CBS Interactive. March 31, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page – Pendleton Ward Interview". Wizards of the Coast LLC. April 8, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anders, Charlie. "How Did Adventure Time Become Better Than Most Live-Action TV Shows?". io9. Retrieved March 18, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sava, Oliver (October 15, 2012). "'I Remember You' | Adventure Time | TV Club". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved April 16, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kohn, Eric (March 26, 2013). "Why 'Adventure Time' Is the Best Sci-Fi Show on TV Right Now". IndieWire. Snagfilms. Retrieved April 15, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Top 25 Episodes of Adventure Time". Earn This. Retrieved February 1, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "10 essential episodes of Adventure Time". geek.com. Retrieved February 1, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)