Igor Sychev is a Kazakh blogger and a political prisoner. He received international attention when he went to prison over an online poll about whether Kazakhstan should join Russia in the same way as Crimea in the Ukraine.
Sychev is an ethnic Russian from a former Russian area in the east of Kazakhstan.  It has a majority of ethnic Russian people. Sychev was the administrator of VKontakte, a popular Russian social networking site. On November 18, 2015, he was sentenced to 5 years in prison. Sychev said he did not put up the poll, and he took it down after he received complaints.
The International Partnership for Human Rights (IPHR) and Kazakhstan International Bureau for Human Rights and Rule of Law (KIBHR) asked the EU to support Sychev and other victims of free speech violations.
References[change | change source]
- "Kazakhstan Sentenced Pro-Russian Blogger to 5 Years for Stirring "Separatism" on Social Media". 19 November 2015.
- "В Риддере осужден блогер по делу о призывах к сепаратизму".
- "Kazakhstan jails pro-Russian 'separatist' blogger".
- "БЛОГЕР СЫЧЕВ 5 ЖЫЛҒА СОТТАЛДЫ".
- "Kazakhstan - Country report - Nations in Transit - 2016".
- "Kazakhstan 2016/2017".
- IPHR (26 November 2015). "EU: Raise free speech and torture cases with Kazakhstan - IPHR".