Immortals (2011 movie)
Immortals is a 2011 American adventure-fantasy movie directed by Tarsem Singh. It is loosely based on the myths of Theseus, the Minotaur and the Titanomachy. The movie it stars Henry Cavill, Freida Pinto and Mickey Rourke. It was released on November 11, 2011. The reviews were mixed to negative. But it was a commercial success.
Plot[change | change source]
Before the age of man or beast, the immortals wage war on each other in the heavens. The winners become the gods. The ones who were lose become the Titans who were imprisoned in Mount Tartarus. During the war, a powerful weapon called the Epirus Bow was lost. In 1228 B.C., the Heraklion king Hyperion (Mickey Rourke), lays waste to Greece searching for the bow. With it he can free the Titans and destroy the gods who failed to save his wife and children from dying of disease. Hyperion captures the virgin oracle Phaedra (Freida Pinto). This was in the hopes that her psychic visions will help him locate the bow.
Meanwhile, the people of a village prepare to flee to Mount Tartarus to escape from Hyperion's soldiers. One of them is the warrior Theseus (Henry Cavill). He was mentored by a mysterious old man (John Hurt). Theseus and his mother Aethra (Anne Day-Jones) are considered as outcasts as he is the product of Aethra being raped. They are forced to stay behind by soldiers from Athens including Lysander (Joseph Morgan). Theseus beats off multiple opponents until the Athenian officer Helios (Peter Stebbings) has Lysander dismissed for his actions. Lysander travels to Hyperion offering him his service the location of the village. The king accepts but labels Lysander a traitor and, to punish him, has his testicles hammered, so he is unable to produce children. Hyperion's soldiers attack the village and, after murdering Aethra and the villagers, take Theseus captive.
It is revealed that the old man in Zeus (Luke Evans). He warns his fellows gods Athena (Isabel Lucas), Poseidon (Kellan Lutz), Ares (Daniel Sharman), Heracles (Steve Byers) and Apollo (Corey Sevier) not to interfere with mortal affairs unless the Titans are freed and they must have faith in the humans to defeat Hyperion.
Theseus is enslaved alongside the thief Stavros (Stephen Dorff). Phaedra, who is being held prisoner nearby, sees a vision of Theseus and organizes a riot, and Theseus uses the chaos to escape with Stavros and the other slaves. Theseus attempts to pursue Hyperion by hijacking a boat, but he and his allies are attacked by Hyperion's soldiers. Poseidon deliberately disobeys Zeus by diving into the sea from Olympus and causing a tidal wave which drowns Hyperion's men. When Phaedra sees a vision of Theseus standing near a shrouded corpse, she determines he must return to bury his mother. Despite Theseus's scepticism, his mother believed in the gods and therefore must receive a proper burial.
Cast[change | change source]
- Henry Cavill as Theseus, a mortal chosen by Zeus to fight evil.
- Robert Naylor as Young Theseus.
- Stephen Dorff as Stavros, a cunning slave and master thief who joins Theseus on his quest.
- Luke Evans as Zeus, god of the sky and king of the gods.
- John Hurt as Old Man, a disguise used by Zeus to interact with mortals.
- Isabel Lucas as Athena, goddess of wisdom.
- Kellan Lutz as Poseidon, god of the sea.
- Freida Pinto as Phaedra, an Oracle priestess who joins Theseus on his quest.
- Mickey Rourke as King Hyperion, the King of Heraklion.
- Joseph Morgan as Lysander, a traitorous Athenian soldier who joins King Hyperion after being discharged.
- Peter Stebbings as Helios, an Athenian general.
- Daniel Sharman as Ares, god of war.
- Anne Day-Jones as Aethra, mother of Theseus.
- Greg Bryk as Nycomedes, a monk in service to Phaedra.
- Corey Sevier as Apollo, god of light.
- Steve Byers as Heracles, the god who forged the Epirus Bow.
- Robert Maillet as The Minotaur, Hyperion's powerful henchman who wears a metal bull mask.
- Romano Orzari as Icarus, an Athenian soldier.
- Alan van Sprang as Dareios, a slave who joins Theseus on his quest.
- Stephen McHattie as Cassander, the King of the Hellenics.
- Mark Margolis as The New Priest, a monk.
- Gage Munroe as Acamas, son of Theseus and Phaedra.
- Tamas Menyhart as Heraklion
References[change | change source]
- Zeitchik, Steven (2008-06-27). Ancient epic "Dawn of War" follows "300" path. Reuters.com. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- (2008-11-05). Casting begins for 'Dawn,' 'Titans'. Variety. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Fischer, Russ (2010-03-22). Kellan Lutz Cast as Poseidon in War of the gods. /Film. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Sciretta, Peter (2010-02-23). "Slumdog Millionaire star Freida Pinto Cast in Tarsem’s War of the gods". /Film. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "'Immortals' Review". Screen Rant. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Immortals Movie Quotes (Page 2)". Moviequotesandmore.com. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Immortals Movie Clip "Zeus's Wrath" Official 2011 [HD - Henry Cavill; YouTube]