|Development region||Enriquillo (VI)|
|- elevation||31 m (102 ft)|
|Area||2,007.4 km² (775 sq mi)|
|Population||52,589 (2010) |
|Density||26 /km² (67 /sq mi)|
6 municipal districts
|Congresspersons||1 Senator |
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
Location[change | change source]
The Independencia province is bordered to the north by the Elías Piña and Bahoruco provinces, to the east by Barahona and to the south by the Pedernales province. To the west Independencia borders the Republic of Haiti.
History[change | change source]
It was created on 29 December 1948 but to start on 1 January 1950. It was part of the Bahoruco province before being elevated to the category of province. Its name remembers the national independence from Haiti on 27 February 1844.
The province was created with the municipalities of Jimaní, Duvergé and La Descubierta with Jimaní as capital of the province. Postrer Río became a municipality in 1982, Cristóbal in 2003 and Mella in 2004. Guayabal was made a municipal district in 1998, El Limón in 2001, La Colonia in 2004, Boca de Cachón and Vengan a Ver in 2005, and Batey 8 in 2006.
Population[change | change source]
In 2010 (last national census), there were 52,589 people living in the Independencia province, and 42,050 (80%) living in towns and cities. The population density was 26.2 persons/km², the second lowest in the country; only Pedernales has a lower population density.
Its population represents 0.56% of the total population of the country and the province is ranked as the 31th (out of 31 plus the National District) more populated province.
Geography[change | change source]
The Independencia province has a total area of 2,007.4 km2 (775.1 sq mi). It has 4.2% of the area of the Dominican Republic and it is ranked as the 8th (out of 31 plus the National District) largest province.
The Sierra de Bahoruco is in the southern part of the province, and the Sierra de Neiba runs across the northwestern part of the province, on the border with the Elías Piña province. The rest of the province is part of the Hoya de Enriquillo (or Neiba Valley). In this valley is the Lake Enriquillo, and about half of its area is part of the Independencia province.
There are few permanent rivers, with water all the time. The longest river is the Las Damas river 24 km (15 mi), which flows from Sierra de Bahoruco to the Lake Enriquillo.
Climate[change | change source]
The climate of the province is a tropical climate, very hot and dry in the valley, but it is cooler on the mountains.
Municipalities[change | change source]
|Municipal Districts (code)||Population
|El Limón (100102)||3,381||144.2||23.4||29|
|Boca de Cachón (100103)||3,095||201.8||15.3||15|
|Vengan a Ver (100202)||2,708||180.5||15.0||8|
|La Descubierta (100301)||8,310||215.5||38.6||41|
|La Descubierta (100300)||8,310||215.5||38.6|
|Postrer Río (100401)||3,596||92.0||39.1||41|
|Postrer Río (100400))||5,668||164.3||34.5|
|Batey 8 (100502)||3,930||158.3||24.8||19|
|La Colonia (100602)||1,140||125.5||9.1||1|
|Independencia province (100000)||52,589||2,007.4||26.2|
Economy[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "División Territorial 2012" (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). May 2012. p. 14. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2010" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística. June 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "División Territorial 2015" (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). October 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 November 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA: Población por año calendario, según sexo y grupos quinquenales de edad, 2015-2020" (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). Archived from the original (XLS) on 24 June 2016. Retrieved 27 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Jimaní". Geonames.org. Retrieved 27 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)