Jump to navigation Jump to search
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: index.|
An index is a system used to make finding information easier.
Index could also mean:
- Index (publishing), a detailed list, usually arranged alphabetically, of the specific information in a publication
- Index cards in a rolodex or old card catalog, early and mid 20th century technologies for maintaining such lists
- Index (mathematics), for various meanings of the word in mathematics
- Index (economics), a single number calculated from an array of prices and quantities.
- Index, Washington, a town in Snohomish County, Washington, United States.
- Index (typography), a largely obsolete punctuation mark
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum, a list of publications which the Catholic Church censored
- Germany's List of Media Harmful to Young People, colloquially known as The Index, published by the Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien
- Index Magazine, was a prominent New York City based publication for art and culture.
- Truman State University Index, the weekly newspaper distributed at Truman State University and throughout the Kirksville, Missouri community.
- The Index, the student newspaper of Kalamazoo College, published since 1877.
- The Index (journal), a European propaganda journal created by Henry Hotze to support the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
In computers and information retrieval:
- Index (database), a feature in a computerized database which allows quick access to the rows in a table
- Index (information technology), in computer science, either an integer which identifies an array element, or a data structure which enables fast lookup
- Index (search engine), for supporting information retrieval in search engines
- Webserver directory index, a default or index web page in a directory on a web server, such as index.html
- Subject indexing, describing the content of a document by keywords
- The Index, an item on the Halo (megastructure) in the Halo series of video games.
- The Index (skyscraper), a tower under construction in Dubai.
- Index (retailer), a defunct UK catalogue retailer formerly owned by the Littlewoods group and known as Littlewoods Index
- Index finger, The second digit of a human hand is also referred to as the index finger, pointer finger, forefinger, digitus secundus, or digitus II.
- Index fund, a collective investment scheme
- Indexicality, in linguistics, the variation of meaning of an utterance according to certain features of the context in which it is uttered
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Index.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.