|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: index.|
An index is a system used to make finding information easier.
Index could also mean:
- Index (publishing), a detailed list, usually arranged alphabetically, of the specific information in a publication
- Index cards in a rolodex or old card catalog, early and mid 20th century technologies for maintaining such lists
- Index (mathematics), for various meanings of the word in mathematics
- Index (economics), a single number calculated from an array of prices and quantities.
- Index, Washington, a town in Snohomish County, Washington, United States.
- Index (typography), a largely obsolete punctuation mark
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum, a list of publications which the Catholic Church censored
- Germany's List of Media Harmful to Young People, colloquially known as The Index, published by the Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien
- Index Magazine, was a prominent New York City based publication for art and culture.
- Truman State University Index, the weekly newspaper distributed at Truman State University and throughout the Kirksville, Missouri community.
- The Index, the student newspaper of Kalamazoo College, published since 1877.
- The Index (journal), a European propaganda journal created by Henry Hotze to support the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
In computers and information retrieval:
- Index (database), a feature in a computerized database which allows quick access to the rows in a table
- Index (information technology), in computer science, either an integer which identifies an array element, or a data structure which enables fast lookup
- Index (search engine), for supporting information retrieval in search engines
- Webserver directory index, a default or index web page in a directory on a web server, such as index.html
- Subject indexing, describing the content of a document by keywords
- The Index, an item on the Halo (megastructure) in the Halo series of video games.
- The Index (skyscraper), a tower under construction in Dubai.
- Index (retailer), a defunct UK catalogue retailer formerly owned by the Littlewoods group and known as Littlewoods Index
- Index finger, The second digit of a human hand is also referred to as the index finger, pointer finger, forefinger, digitus secundus, or digitus II.
- Index fund, a collective investment scheme
- Indexicality, in linguistics, the variation of meaning of an utterance according to certain features of the context in which it is uttered
|This disambiguation page lists articles with similar titles.
If a link brought you here, you can go back and fix it so it goes straight to the right page.