Anthem: Ey Reqîb
and largest city
|Official languages||Kurdish (Sorani)|
|Recognized languages||Assyrian Neo-Aramaic, Chaldean Neo-Aramaic, Armenian, Turkish|
|Religion||Islam (Sunni and Shia), Christianity, Yazdânism, Zoroastrianism|
• Accord signed
|March 11, 1970|
• De facto autonomy
• Regional government established
|July 4, 1992|
|January 30, 2005|
|46,861 km2 (18,093 sq mi)|
• 2017 estimate
|GDP (nominal)||2016 estimate|
• Per capita
|Currency||Iraqi dinar (IQD)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (GMT)|
• Summer (DST)
|UTC+3 (not observed)|
Iraqi Kurdistan or Southern Kurdistan is the the part of Kurdistan which is in Iraq. The Kurdistan Region is a fully autonomous region in the north of Iraq. Its capital is Erbil, called Hewlêr in Kurdish. Iraqi Kurdistan is also known as Northern Iraq.
The area is 80,000 km² and 5,500,000 people live there.
Geography[change | change source]
Iraqi Kurdistan is divided into 6 provinces.
- Three of the provinces that are under control of Iraqi Kurdistan are:
1.As Sulaymaniyah (Silemanî)
- The provinces that are a part of Iraqi Kurdistan are:
Demographics[change | change source]
The population in Iraqi Kurdistan is about 5-6 million. Most of these people are Sunni Muslims. There are also many Yazidis, Kakeyís and Christians. Kurds make the ethnic majority in the region while the Turkmen, Aramean, Assyrians, Armenians and Arabs make up the rest of the western part of the area.
References[change | change source]
- Kurdistan Regional Government: The Kurdish language, 27 June 2010, Retrieved 21 July 2017
- "Armenian recognized official language in Iraqi Kurdistan". news.am.
- "The Kurdish language". cabinet.gov.krd.
- "Religions in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region of Iraq". Kurdistan regional government. 2015.
- "KRSO". Krso.net. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Investment Factsheet Kurdistan Region – Iraq" (PDF). Iraq-jccme.jp. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Iraq Human Development Report 2014" (PDF). Ophi.org.uk. Iraq. 2014. p. 29.
- "region northern Iraq".
- Kurdish: هەرێمى كوردستان, Herêma Kurdistan, Arabic: إقليم كردستان العراق