|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Michigan's 1st district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Dan Benishek|
John Warren Bergman
February 2, 1947
Shakopee, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||Gustavus Adolphus College (BA)|
University of West Florida (MBA)
|Branch/service||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1969–2009|
|Unit||Rhode Island National Guard|
Mobilization Station, Chicago
II Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element
4th Marine Aircraft Wing
4th Marine Logistics Group
United States Marine Corps Reserve
Marine Forces North
John Warren "Jack" Bergman (born February 2, 1947) is a retired United States Marine Corps lieutenant general and politician. He has been the U.S. Representative for Michigan's 1st congressional district since 2017.
Bergman was commanding general of Marine Forces Reserve and Marine Forces North. He also was a naval aviator, flying rotary-winged aircraft such as the CH-46 and UH-1, as well as fixed-wing aircraft such as the T-28 and KC-130.
In June 2017, Bergman was one of the Republican congressmen who were practicing on an Alexandria, Virginia, baseball field for the annual congressional baseball game when a man named James Hodgkinson began shooting at them, harming four people, including Cong. Steve Scalise (R-LA).
He calls himself a conservative but does not feel strongly about party.
References[change | change source]
- Livengood, Chad (2016-01-14). "Retired U.P. Marine files for GOP congressional primary". Detroitnews.com. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- Gibbons, Lauren (August 2, 2016). "Jack Bergman victorious in 1st Congressional District Republican primary". MLive. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Medium- Lt. General Jack Bergman (Ret.) to Become Highest-Ranking Military Veteran Ever Sworn into Congress". Harperpolling.com. 2017-01-03. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- Meloni, Rod; Rep. Jack Bergman describes shooting at baseball practice: 'I just basically went into a low crawl'; ClickOnDetroit; June 14, 2017; https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan/rep-jack-bergman-describes-shooting-at-baseball-practice-i-just-basically-went-into-a-low-crawl
- Hunter, Wil; Meet Republican congressional candidate Jack Bergman; Up Matters; http://www.upmatters.com/news/local-news/meet-republican-congressional-candidate-jack-bergman/461595749