|Born||James Lafayette Dickey|
February 2, 1923
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
|Died||January 19, 1997 (aged 73)|
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
(m. 1948; died 1976)
Deborah Dodson (m. 1976)
|Children||Christopher Dickey, Kevin Dickey, Bronwen Dickey|
Dickey was born in Buckhead, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. He read Lord Byron's poetry when he was young. In high school he was good at football. He played varsity at Clemson College in South Carolina. World War II caused him to leave Clemson in 1942. He joined the U. S. Air Force and fought in the Asian and Pacific area. He started writing poetry during this time.
In 1966, his poetry book Buckdancer's Choice won the National Book Award. Three of his other books were finalists: Helmets (1965), Deliverance (1971), and Sorties (1972). Deliverance was a novel that later was made into a movie.
Poetry[change | change source]
- Into the Stone and Other Poems (in Poets of Today VII) (1960)
- Drowning with Others (1962)
- Two Poems of the Air (1964)
- Helmets (1964)
- Buckdancer's Choice: Poems (1965)
- Poems 1957-67 (1967)
- The Eye-Beaters, Blood, Victory, Madness, Buckhead and Mercy (1970)
- Exchanges (1971)
- The Zodiac (1976)
- The Owl King (1977)
- Veteran Birth: The Gadfly Poems 1947-49 (1978)
- Tucky the Hunter (1978)
- Head-Deep in Strange Sounds: Free-Flight Improvisations from the unEnglish (1979)
- The Strength of Fields (1979)
- Falling, May Day Sermon, and Other Poems (1981)
- The Early Motion (1981)
- Puella (1982)
- Värmland (1982)
- False Youth: Four Seasons (1983)
- For a Time and Place (1983)
- Intervisions (1983)
- The Central Motion: Poems 1968-79 (1983)
- Bronwen, The Traw, and the Shape-Shifter: A Poem in Four Parts (1986)
- Summons (1988)
- The Eagle's Mile (1990)
- The Whole Motion: Collected Poems, 1945–1992
- The Selected Poems (1998)
- The Complete Poems of James Dickey (2013)
- Death, and the Day's Light (2015)
Novels[change | change source]
- Deliverance (1970)
- Alnilam (1987)
- To the White Sea (1993)
References[change | change source]
- "About James Dickey | Academy of American Poets". poets.org. Retrieved February 21, 2023.
- "James L. Dickey". Poetry Foundation. February 20, 2023. Retrieved February 21, 2023.
- "James Dickey". National Book Foundation. Retrieved February 21, 2023.
- "Poems Read at Inauguration Ceremonies for US Presidents". ThoughtCo. Retrieved February 21, 2023.
- "Yale Series of Younger Poets Judges". Yale University Press. Retrieved February 21, 2023.