Jared Scott Fogle
August 23, 1977
|Alma mater||Indiana University Bloomington|
(m. 2001; div. 2007)
(m. 2010; div. 2015)
|Criminal status||Currently imprisoned at the Federal Correctional Institution, Englewood; earliest possible release date July 11, 2029 A.D.|
|Conviction(s)||November 19, 2015 (guilty plea)|
|Criminal charge||Distribution and receipt of child pornography, traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor|
|Penalty||13–152⁄3 years in federal prison, lifetime of supervised release, $175,000 fine plus forfeiture of $50,000 (a total of $225,000), and $1.4 million restitution.|
Jared Scott Fogle (born August 23, 1977) is an American former spokesperson for Subway and a convicted sex offender. In the 2000s, he was used to market the promotion of healthy eating with Subway.
Born in Indianapolis, Fogle graduated from North Central High School and Indiana University in 1995 and 2000, respectively. He drew the attention of Subway and the media when an acquaintance wrote an article in the Indiana Daily Student about Fogle losing 245 lb (111 kg), which he attributed to eating Subway sandwiches. Subway hired Fogle as a spokesperson in 2000, and he was featured in much of the company's advertising from 2000 to 2015; he appeared in Subway commercials, was parodied in an episode of South Park, and had appearances in the Sharknado film series, among others.
Fogle's tenure with Subway ended in 2015 after he was investigated for paying for sex with minors and receiving child pornography; he had been the subject of a long-running investigation by the FBI since 2007. On August 19, 2015, he agreed to plead guilty in federal court to possessing child pornography and traveling to pay for sex with minors. Fogle formally pleaded guilty to the charges on November 19 of that year, and was sentenced to serve 15 years, 8 months in federal prison, with a minimum of 13 years before becoming eligible for early release.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Sheckler Finch, Jackie (2010). "The Skinny On Jared". Insider's Guide® To Indianapolis (paperback). Guilford, Connecticut: Morris Book Publishing, LLC. p. 60. ISBN 9780762756735.
Jared Fogle had no idea the unplanned course his life would take. Born August 23, 1977, in Indianapolis, ...
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Stanley, Deb (December 18, 2015). "Subway's Jared moved to Colorado prison". The Denver Channel. Archived from the original on December 23, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- ↑ "Jared Fogel charged with paying for sex with minors, possessing child porn". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- ↑ "Jared Fogle, Ex-Subway Pitchman, Gets 15 Years in Prison for Child Porn Charges". NBC News. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- ↑ Bryson York, Emily (February 18, 2008). "Subway Can't Stop Jonesing for Jared". Advertising Age. Detroit, Michigan: Crain Communications. Retrieved February 18, 2008.
- ↑ Littlefield, Christina (July 7, 2015). "The Subway guy: How Jared Fogle went from overweight college student to cultural icon". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved December 2, 2019.
- ↑ Jargon, Julie (November 19, 2015). "Jared Fogle Sentenced to 15 1/2 Years in Prison". Wall Street Journal. New York City: Dow Jones & Company. ISSN 0099-9660. Archived from the original on November 19, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- ↑ Callahan, Rick (November 19, 2015). "Ex-Subway pitchman Fogle gets more than 15 years in prison". MSN. Archived from the original on November 22, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
- ↑ Ortiz, Erik; Bogert, Nick (November 19, 2015). "Jared Fogle, Ex-Subway Pitchman, Gets 15 Years in Prison for Child Porn Charges". NBC News. Archived from the original on July 18, 2016. Retrieved July 13, 2016.