|Prime Minister of France|
3 July 2020 – 16 May 2022
|Preceded by||Édouard Philippe|
|Succeeded by||Élisabeth Borne|
|Mayor of Prades|
18 March 2008 – 3 July 2020
|Preceded by||Jean-François Denis|
|Succeeded by||Yves Delcor (Acting)|
|Born||25 June 1965|
|Political party||Union for a Popular Movement (until 2015)|
The Republicans (2015–2020)
LREM (since 2020)
|Alma mater||University of Toulouse-Jean Jaurès|University of Toulouse 2|
École nationale d'administration
Jean Castex (French: [ʒɑ̃ kastɛks]; born 25 June 1965) is a French politician. He was the Prime Minister of France from 3 July 2020 to 16 May 2022. He was nominated to the job by President Emmanuel Macron.
He was a member of Les Républicans (LR). He was Mayor of Prades, a provincial town in Southern France, for twelve years until his appointment as Prime Minister. He was praised for his role in handling the Coronavirus crisis.
On 25 April 2022, after Macron's re-election as President of France, Castex agreed to resign as Prime Minister of France. Castex had previously promised to do so if Macron was re-elected.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Mallet, Victor (3 July 2020). "Macron names Jean Castex as new French prime minister". Financial Times.
- ↑ "French president names Jean Castex, who coordinated France's virus reopening strategy, as new prime minister". Associated Press. 3 July 2020.
- ↑ "Macron set to name France's next PM as focus moves to legislative elections". 25 April 2022. Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- ↑ "French PM announces he will resign if Macron is re-election". thelocal.fr. 19 April 2022. Retrieved 4 May 2022.
- ↑ "French PM Castex announces government resignation if Macron re-elected". Le Monde. 19 April 2022. Retrieved 4 May 2022.