Jean Pierre Carl Buron (12 July 1886 – 2 June 1956), known professionally as Jean Hersholt, was a Danish-American actor and director. He was best known for starring on the radio series Dr. Christian from 1937 to 1942 and in the movie Heidi (1937). He was born in Copenhagen.
He told The Literary Digest how to pronounce his last name, "In English, her'sholt; in Danish, hairs'hult."
Hersholt died on 2 June 1956 in Hollywood, California of pancreatic cancer, aged 69.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Obituary Variety, 6 June 1943, p. 63.
- ↑ Funk, Charles Earle (1936). What's the Name, Please? A Guide to the Correct Pronunciation of Current Prominent Names. New York: Funk & Wagnalls. OCLC 1463642.
- ↑ "JEAN HERSHOLT, 69, IS DEAD ON COAST; Actor Often Portrayed Physician". The New York Times. 3 June 1956. Retrieved 15 September 2022.
- 1873 births
- 1956 deaths
- Deaths from pancreatic cancer
- Cancer deaths in Los Angeles
- Danish movie actors
- Danish television actors
- Danish stage actors
- Danish movie directors
- Naturalized citizens of the United States
- American movie actors
- American television actors
- American stage actors
- American radio actors
- American movie directors
- Actors from Copenhagen