|Birth name||Jeffrey Scott Buckley|
November 17, 1966|
Anaheim, California, United States
|Died||May 29, 1997
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
|Genres||Alternative rock, folk|
|Associated acts||Tim Buckley, The A.M., Shinehead, Gods and Monsters|
Life and death[change | change source]
Buckley was born in Anaheim, California. He was the only son of Mary Guibert, a Panama Canal Zonian and Tim Buckley (1947-1975). Buckley is of Greek, French, Irish and Panamanian descent. Buckley was known as Scott "Scotty" Moorhead as a child. This name was based on his middle name and his stepfather's surname. His father died when he was eight years old.
Buckley died on the evening of May 29, 1997. His death was ruled as an accidental drowning after he went missing after going swimming in the Wolf River Harbor which is a slackwater channel of the Mississippi River.
Discography[change | change source]
Albums[change | change source]
|1998||Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk|
Singles[change | change source]
|1998||Everybody Here Want You|
Awards[change | change source]
- April 13, 1995 - "Grand Prix International Du Disque" by the Académie Charles Cros.
- 1995 - MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist in a Video for "Last Goodbye" (nominated).
- 1995 - Rolling Stone magazine for Best New Artist (nominated).
- 1995 - #14 best song of 1995 in the world's largest voting competition for "Last Goodbye" by Triple J Hottest 100.
- 2006 - Grace was named the #1 Modern Rock Classic of all Time by Mojo.
- 1998 - Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for "Everybody Here Wants You" (nominated).
- 2003 - Grace was ranked #303 of the 500 Greatest Albums by Rolling Stone.
- 2004 - His cover of "Hallelujah" was ranked #259 of the 500 Greatest Songs by Rolling Stone.
- 2008 - He was ranked #39 in Rolling Stone's 2008 list: The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.
- 2009 - His version of "Hallelujah" was voted in 3rd place, Last Goodbye was 7th, Lover, You Should've Come Over was 56th and Grace came in 69th on the Triple J Hottest 100 of All Time.