Jerry Lewis, born as Jerome Levitch, (March 16, 1926 – August 20, 2017) was an American comedian, screenwriter, singer, humanitarian, producer, director, philanthropist and actor. He was of Jewish descent. He was best known for acting in comedy movies in the 1950s and 1960s such as The Nutty Professor. He also helped to raise money for people with muscular dystrophy, through the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Lewis first became famous as part of Martin & Lewis, working with singer Dean Martin. They worked together for ten years. They appeared on stage, radio and television, and in movies. They stopped working together in 1956 and did not speak for years. They reunited a few times from the 1970s to the 1990s.
Lewis directed of many of his movies. He was the first director to use video cameras with movie cameras, to help with filming scenes. Film takes time to process, but videotape can be played back right away, saving time and work if a scene needs to be redone. Other directors soon started using his technique, and it is still used today.
During the 1970s, Lewis' movies became less popular. He moved away from acting and directing. In the 1990s, he returned to performing onstage. He continued to perform during the 2000s.
Movies[change | change source]
Jerry Lewis acted in many movies, including:
- The Stooge (1952)
- Hollywood or Bust (1956)
- The Bellboy (1960)
- The Errand Boy (1961)
- The Patsy (1964)
- The Disorderly Orderly (1964)
- Three on a Couch (1966)
- Way... Way Out (1966)
- Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River (1967)
- The Big Mouth (1967)
- Silent Treatment (1968)
- Hook, Line & Sinker (1969)
References[change | change source]
- Elfman, Doug (August 31, 2008). "How Jack Kennedy Talked Jerry Lewis Out Of A $500 Million Charity Loan". Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- "Jerry Lewis Praises Donald Trump, Says Syrian Refugees 'Should Stay Where the Hell They Are' (Video)". Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- Richard Natale; Carmel Dagan (August 20, 2017). "Jerry Lewis, Comedy Legend, Dies at 91". Variety. Retrieved August 20, 2017.