|Joaquín Guzmán Loera|
|Born||Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera
25 December 1954  or 4 April 1957
La Tuna, Badiraguato, Sinaloa, Mexico
|Alias(es)||"El Chapo" Guzmán|
|Charge(s)||Drug trafficking, murder, money laundering, among others|
|Escape||1st escape: 19 January 2001
2nd escape: 11 July 2015
|Occupation||Leader of Sinaloa Cartel and all Mexican prisons|
Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera (born December 25, 1954, or April 4, 1957) is a Mexican drug lord who headed the Sinaloa Cartel, a criminal organization named after the Mexican Pacific coast state of Sinaloa where it was initially formed.
Loera is known as "El Chapo Guzmán" ("Shorty Guzmán") for his 1.68 m (5 ft 6 in) height. He became Mexico's top drug kingpin in 2003 after the arrest of his rival Osiel Cárdenas of the Gulf Cartel. He was thought to be one of the "most powerful drug traffickers in the world" by the United States Department of the Treasury.
Guzmán was once again arrested by Mexican authorities in Mexico on February 22, 2014. He was found in a beach resort in Mazatlan, but details of the arrest have not been revealed. On January 8, 2016, Guzmán was captured at the coastal city of Los Mochis, in northern Sinaloa, following a gun battle by the Mexican Navy.
References[change | change source]
- "Narcotics Rewards Program: Joaquín Guzmán-Loera". U.S. Department of State. 2009. http://www.state.gov/j/inl/narc/rewards/115366.htm. Retrieved August 26, 2009.
- "Califica EU a "El Chapo" como el narco más poderoso del mundo". Milenio. January 10, 2012. http://www.milenio.com/cdb/doc/noticias2011/19c5f99ea605cf5a580a72acb27694f8. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Otero, Silvia. "EU: "El Chapo" es el narco más poderoso del mundo". El Universal. http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/192801.html. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Drug lord "El Chapo" Guzman captured in Mexico, reporter says". Fox News.com. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/22/drug-lord-el-chapo-guzman-captured-in-mexico-report-says/. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Schuppe, Jon (8 January 2016). "El Chapo: Notorious Mexican Drug Kingpin Captured by Authorities". NBC News. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/el-chapo-notorious-mexican-drug-kingpin-captured-authorities-n492956. Retrieved 2016-01-08.