Sir John Vincent Hurt, CBE (22 January 1940 – 25 January 2017) was an English movie, television, voice, and stage actor. He is known for his roles in The Elephant Man, Melancholia, Immortals, Alien, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and for his role as the War Doctor in Doctor Who. He won a Golden Globe Award and two BAFTA Awards.
Hurt was born on 22 January 1940 in Shirebrook, Derbyshire. Hurt was married to Annette Robertson from 1962 until they divorced in 1964. He was married to Donna Peacock from 1984 until they divorced in 1990. He was married to Jo Dalton from 1990 until they divorced in 1996. He married Ann Rees Meyers in 2005. Hurt had two sons with Dalton.
In June 2015, Hurt announced that he had been diagnosed with early-stage pancreatic cancer. He confirmed that he would continue to work while undergoing treatment, and said that both he and his medical team were "more than optimistic about a satisfactory outcome". Following treatment, Hurt stated that he was in remission on 12 October 2015.
References[change | change source]
- "John Hurt Biography (1940–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "Actor John Hurt reveals cancer diagnosis: agency". Reuters. 16 June 2015. Archived from the original on 16 June 2015. https://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/16/us-people-hurt-idUSKBN0OW21820150616. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "'John Hurt 'more than optimistic' as he reveals pancreatic cancer diagnosis'". The Guardian. 15 June 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/16/john-hurt-optimistic-reveals-pancreatic-cancer-diagnosis. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "'John Hurt "overjoyed" and "thrilled" at cancer remission news'". DigitalSpy. 14 October 2015. http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a673648/john-hurt-overjoyed-and-thrilled-at-cancer-remission-news. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "John Hurt, Oscar-Nominated Star of 'The Elephant Man,' Dies at 77". The Hollywood Reporter. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Hurt.|