John Simon (critic)
May 12, 1925
Subotica, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes
(now Subotica, Serbia)
|Died||November 24, 2019 (aged 94)|
Valhalla, New York, U.S.
|Education||Horace Mann School|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Patricia Hoag (m. 1992)
|Service/branch||United States Army Air Forces|
|Years of service||1944–1945|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
John Ivan Simon (né Simmon; May 12, 1925 − November 24, 2019) was a Serbian-born American author and literary, theater, and movie critic.
Career[change | change source]
Simon wrote theater, movie, music, and book reviews for publications such as New York, Esquire, The Hudson Review, National Review, Opera News, The New Leader, Commonweal, The New Criterion and The New York Times Book Review.
He also wrote essays to The Weekly Standard. Simon was the theater critic at New York for 36 years from October 1968 until May 2005. He wrote theater reviews for Bloomberg News from June 2005 through November 2010. He also reviewed theater for The Westchester Guardian.
Death[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The Paris Review Archived 2007-11-10 at the Wayback Machine; accessed March 16, 2016.
- "Uncensored John Simon". uncensoredsimon.blogspot.com.
- Playbill news article Archived 2005-06-30 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved January 28, 2009
- Theatermania news article Archived 2006-06-27 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved January 28, 2009.
- Bonano, Christopher (November 25, 2019). "On John Simon". Vulture. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "Theatre Critic John Simon Has Passed Away at 94". BroadwayWorld. November 25, 2019. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "People Who Played Themselves". www.oddcouple.info. Archived from the original on 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2021-07-30.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Uncensored John Simon Simon's blog
- John Simon papers, 1892-2011, held by the Billy Rose Theatre Division, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
- Harvard Crimson profile
- Archive of Simon's New York Magazine theater criticism (1997-2005)
- John Simon - Downstage Center interview at American Theatre Wing.org