Jua Cali in a photo shoot for his album, Ngeli ya Genge
|Birth name||Paul Julius Nunda|
|Also known as|
|Born||September 12, 1979|
Paul Julius Nunda (born 12 September 1979), better known by his stage name Jua Cali, is a Kenyan hip hop artist. In 2000, together with record producer Clemo, he founded Calif Records where he has been ever since. Jua Cali performs in Swahili and Sheng in a popular Kenyan style of rapping called genge.
Early life[change | change source]
Jua Cali was born in Eastlands, Nairobi. His parents, Doreen Onditi and Evans Onditi (deceased) were both schoolteachers.
Awards[change | change source]
- 2006 Kisima Music Awards – Boomba Male
- 2007 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards (CHAT Awards) – Best Male & Celebrity of the Year
- 2007 Kisima Music Awards – Best Male Artist & Boomba Male.
- 2007 Pearl of Africa Music Awards (PAM Awards) – Best Male Artist (Kenya)
- 2008 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards – Favourite Male Artiste & Best Live Stage Performance & Best Collabo Song ("Kwaheri" with Sainapei).
- 2006 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards – nominated in three categories, but won none of them
- 2007 MTV Europe Music Awards – Best Africa Act
- 2007 MOBO Awards
- 2008 Tanzania Music Awards – Best East African Song ("Kwaheri")
- 2008 MTV Africa Music Awards – Best Male
References[change | change source]
- Kisima Music Awards 2006 Winners
- The Standard, 20 April 2007: Chat Awards drama
- Kisima Awards winners 2007 Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Museke: Pearl of Africa Music (PAM) awards 2007 winners – Uganda
- The Standard, Pulse Magazine, 20 June 2008: "Chaguo La Teeniez" awards
- The Standard, 5 May 2006: The chosen few[permanent dead link]
- MyNaijaNews, 6 September 2007: Celtel sponsors MOBO’s Best African Star Award category....Tu Face, D’Banj gun for award
- Tanzania Music Awards: Nominees 2008
- Mtaani.com 5th International Song Contest http://mtaani.com/news/newsdetails/item_2945/juacali-to-rep-the-254-in-the-5th-international-song-contest/