Judd Buchanan, PC OC (born 25 July 1929) is a Canadian politician and businessman. He was a Member of Parliament (MP) in the House of Commons of Canada between 1968 and 1980. He represented the electoral area of London West in Ontario. During this time, he was a part of the Liberal Party. Buchanan was a part of the cabinet of Canada while Pierre Trudeau was the Prime Minister. From 1974 to 1976, he was the Minister of Indian Affairs, from 1976 to 1978 he was the Minister of Public Works and the Minister of State for Science and Technology. He was the President of the Treasury Board from 1978 to 1979.
Buchanan was born in Edmonton, Alberta. He went to university at the University of Alberta and the University of Western Ontario and got a Master of Business Administration. Before becoming a politician, he was an insurance broker at the London Life Insurance Company. Buchanan was elected for the first time in the 1968 federal election. He was elected again in the 1972, 1974, 1979, and 1980 elections. After the 1980 election, when Trudeau did not choose Buchanan to be in the cabinet, Buchanan decided to resign his job as a Member of Parliament. He got a job in Calgary working in the private sector.
Buchanan did more work after he stopped being a politician. He worked in the Canadian tourism industry. He helped the Canadian government create the Canadian Tourism Commission in 1994. He was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2000.
References[change | change source]
- "The Hon. J. Judd Buchanan, P.C., O.C., M.P." Parlinfo. Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 25 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Judd Buchanan – M.P." (PDF). Inuttituut Inuktitun. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. Winter 1975. p. 3. Retrieved 25 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chénier-Cullen, Nicole (2009). I Found My Thrill on Parliament Hill. iUniverse. p. 260. ISBN 9781440179402.
- Smith, Stephen L.J.; Meis, Scott (1997). "The Canadian Tourism Commission". Annals of Tourism Research. 24 (2): 481–483. doi:10.1016/S0160-7383(97)80026-6.
- "The Honourable J. Judd Buchanan". The Governor General of Canada. Retrieved 25 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)