June is the sixth month of the year. It has 30 days. June is named for the Roman goddess Juno, the wife of Jupiter. She is goddess of marriage. Because of this, getting married in June was thought to be lucky. June begins on a different day of the week each year.
Events in June[change | change source]
- The solstice occurs around June 21, but it may occur on either the 20th or the 22nd. It is the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
- Midsummer is celebrated in Sweden on the third Friday in June.
- Father's Day is celebrated in the United States on the third Sunday in June.
- Gay pride celebrations happen in many countries, in honour of the Stonewall riots.
- World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5.
- World Ocean Day is celebrated on June 8.
|Months of the Year|